Solid body motions¶
This chapter shows how a simulation with a solid body motion should be set up on the SimScale platform.
Solid body motions (Fluid dynamics)¶
Solid body motion can be used to simulate movement of computational domain as a whole.
Solid body motion does not require a special mesh preparation as the motion is applied to all of the domain. However, it is important to make sure the produced mesh is of high quality so the prescribed motion could be resolved in an accurate and robust way.
Creation of a solid body motion¶
In the tree, navigate to “Advanced Concepts” and add a solid body motion. Several motion types are supported:
- Axis rotation motion
- The type defines the a rotating motion using a rotation center and a radial velocity.
- Linear motion
- The prescribed motion is a linear motion defined by a velocity vector.
- Oscillating linear motion
- This type defines an oscillating linear motion using an amplitude and angular velocity.
- Oscillating rotating motion
- This type allows an oscillating motion around the rotation center with a prescribed amplitude vector and an angular velocity.
- Rotating motion
- This motion is similar to Axis rotation motion, defined by rotation center, rotation axis, and angular velocity.
- Ship design analysis (SDA)
- This type mimics the movement of a floating body by specifying sinusoidal roll, heave, and sway components of motion.
In this example, an oscillating linear motion is define for a tank. The motion is specified by an amplitude vector and and angular velocity.