Hex-dominant automated: Internal flow through an angled pipe¶
The content of this tutorial is not up to date with the current live version of SimScale. The tutorial setup and the results are still valid! Please do not get confused if styles like buttons and entity names have changed in the meantime.
This short tutorial shows how to create a mesh using the automated Hex-dominant operation for internal flow analysis.
Link to tutorial project containing the geometry:
- Geometry can be uploaded by drag and drop or can also be directly imported from Onshape.
- For this tutorial, you have to import the tutorial project into your ‘Dashboard’ via the link above.
- Once imported, the ‘Work bench’ is open and you will be in the ‘Mesh creator’ tab.
- Click on the CAD model to load the model in the viewer.
2) Mesh generation¶
Click the available geometry. Then click on “Mesh Geometry” button in the options panel.
Please note that for the automatic internal mesher the geometry must be a single closed CAD solid representing the ‘Fluid’ region/domain.
Select “Hex-dominant automatic (only CFD)” and give mesh parameters accordingly.
Adjust the parameters of the operation as shown in the figure below
- important is the assignment on which refined boundary layer cells shall be generated. Select all faces except inlets and outlets and then Save.
3) Mesh review¶
Click the Start button to begin the meshing job.