10 Reasons Why Cloud CAE / Simulation is The Better Option
Cloud CAE tools offer a series of advantages compared to traditional simulation methods based on perpetual licenses.
Why SaaS is Better for Enterprises?
Nowadays cloud is rapidly becoming the new „normal” in industries. Software as a Service (SaaS) is a reliable alternative to the standard software installation. With the SaaS model, you do not pay for the software license, but for the possibility of using it for an agreed time period, with lower costs and high flexibility.
According to IDC, 27.8% of the enterprise software market will be SaaS by the end of 2018. The estimated value of the SaaS market is more than $50.8 billion . Gartner defines SaaS as “software that is owned, delivered and managed remotely by one or more providers. The provider delivers software based on one set of common code and data definitions that is consumed by all contracted customers at any time on a pay-for-use basis or as a subscription based on use metrics.” 
Engineering Apps are Moving to the Cloud
Cloud CAE / simulation solutions offered as Software as a Service bring plenty of industry-specific benefits for CAE users. Staying ahead of the curve is key to any business. Cloud is the fastest, most cost-effective business enabling technology to help companies achieve a competitive advantage.
Compared to traditional on-premise software packages, the SimScale 3D engineering platform is one of the most performing cloud CAE software solutions and is based on a comprehensive set of analysis types: structural mechanics, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, discrete particle, and acoustics.
Top 10 Reasons Why Cloud CAE Solutions are Better for Your Business
The cloud model was quickly adopted in engineering. Here are the main advantages of cloud and specific benefits offered by cloud CAE software:
1. Save time. With the SaaS model, the software is already installed and configured. Users can provision the server for the cloud and quickly have the application ready for use. This save time and allows rapid demos and prototyping.
The SimScale user only needs Internet connectivity and a device with web browser to access the platform. The process is fast and easy: proprietary or pre-designed CAD models are ready to be used by selecting modelling metrics and running the specific simulation iterations. The post-processing and model validation along with modifying the initial design based on the analysis results are the final steps of the simulation process. For any simulation with SimScale — from a car brake to a heavy machine assembly —every iteration is fast, efficient and flexible. No supplementary hardware is necessary.
2. Pay as you go. SaaS gives you the benefit of predictable costs both for the subscription and the administration. You can have a clear idea of what your costs will be. This enables accurate budgeting, especially compared to the costs of internal IT to manage upgrades and address issues for any owned software.
SimScale’s pricing model allows you to start with simulation for free and scale the modelling capacity as it is needed. The SimScale subscription model for private projects is based on cost per core hour. This gives you access to the complete set of tools and features paying only for what you use. No large fixed expenses. No maintenance fees. No long-term commitment. You simulate when you need and pay for what you use. This payment flexibility is saving you money.
3. Do more with less. With cloud computing, companies can reduce the size of their own data centers. Reducing the numbers of servers, the software cost, and allocated staff can significantly reduce IT costs without impacting the organization’s IT capabilities.
SimScale users no longer have to worry about constant server updates, hardware replacement, CAE software updates, and other computing issues; the engineering teams are free to concentrate on production innovation and operations issues. Moreover, with the free SimScale workshops and learning resources, professionals can run simulations by themselves, being able to optimize the digital model without special training.
4. Lower costs. The SaaS subscription model is offering first of all a dramatic reduction of infrastructure costs. You are paying for services which resides in a shared or multi-tenant environment. To properly run simulations, engineering computing tools traditionally need powerful machines, with large storage capabilities, fast processors, and very expensive CAE software, maintenance and training.
With the SimScale cloud CAE solution, you pay only for what you need, without having to buy hardware to host your new applications. And for public projects, you can have the Community plan for free. See complete info about pricing on the SimScale “Plan and Prices” web page.
5. Less capital expense. One of the most appreciated benefit offered by SaaS solutions is the minimal capital investment. The value of shifting from a capital expense (CapEx) model to an operational expense (OpEx) model is still subject of debates. But is commonly agreed that for mid-short term projects, the OpEx model is more attractive because there are no long-time financial commitments. In the OpEx model zero upfront investment is required, which allows organizations to start projects faster but also end them without losing investments.
With SimScale’s flexible pricing model you can choose the best suitable subscription for your projects. Your subscription schedule can be adapted accordingly and OpEx better forecasted.
6. Work from anywhere. With cloud computing, wherever you have an Internet connection, you can be at work. And do to the quality of cloud services and availability of mobile apps, you have no restrictions regarding the device you’re using.
For SimScale users this means high flexibility. You can better enjoy the work-life balance and explore more profitable working hours. You can run a simulation on the desktop, to save it in the cloud and show the results in a client presentation using a tablet or a smart phone.
7. Improved information security. One of the top concerns of cloud skeptics is the fear of sacrificing data security when allowing company data to exist outside the internal firewall. In fact, as many market analysts says, security is actually increased in Cloud environments. All SaaS providers are implementing security standards, in addition to the regular security audits.
Security is an integral part of the SimScale philosophy. SimScale offers a highly secure workspace that constantly protects your data. The communication between your computer and the SimScale platform is done via SSL encrypted connections, a technology that usually protects online banking and e-shopping. Inside the SimScale platform all simulation and CAD data are stored and transferred encrypted, based on the industry standard AES technology – which is also protecting government documents. Two full time IT employees focus solely on data and platform security. Data recovery is assured by redundantly backing up to multiple encrypted backup servers.
8. Automatic software updates. With SaaS solutions you don’t need supplementary maintenance or special update packages. Software updates and renewals are also handled by the cloud vendor and occur several times a year at no cost to the customer.
In the traditional licensing CAD / CAE world, many customers deliberately skip years of upgrades, despite they paid for this benefit of maintenance fees. Most CAD users don’t upgrade every year because the risks are far greater than the benefits. If you choose to upgrade, the installation might cause more problems than it solves. 
With cloud CAE software, and CAD SaaS as well, you don’t have to care about updates and compatibility. You and every SimScale user in the world are using the most recent version. No compatibility issues related to software or database version. No need for downloads or installation. Just refresh your browser and take advantage of the newest enhancements.
9. Improved collaboration. Cloud applications improve collaboration by allowing dispersed groups to meet virtually and share information in real time. This capability can reduce time-to-market and improve product development and customer service. When your teams can access, edit and share documents anytime, from anywhere, you’re able to do more together, and do it better.
With the SimScale simulation platform you can interactively work together with your colleagues, clients, partners, and industry experts, even if they are in other office, on the other floor, in other subsidiary, other city or other country, from other continent. The SimScale platform was developed to better support designers and other technical and business communities’ interactions.
10. Winning competitiveness. Moving to the cloud gives access to enterprise-class technology, for everyone. It also allows smaller businesses to act faster than big, established competitors.
The SimScale platform offers you a full set of specific advantages, ready to be used to perform in competitive projects. 3D cloud CAE software platform can be used in many industries, providing you with a single, powerful simulation environment for interrelated or individual projects. SimScale provides a groundbreaking simulation solution at a pay-as-you-go affordable price, accessible from anywhere, with easy-to-use functionality. The efficient pricing structure saves you time and money. More than 300 simulation models are free to use in SimScale Public Project library.
Why are CAD/ CAE users migrating to the Cloud?
One of SimScale’s integration partners is Onshape . Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Onshape is the first provider of a full-cloud 3D CAD platform that lets everyone on a design team work together using any web browser, phone, or tablet. In a special survey dedicated to more than 200 professionals, Onshape identified the main reasons customer preferred to migrate to full-cloud CAD. 
The main motivations to try cloud-based CAD are:
- 82% respondents claim licenses and maintenance issues
- 78% dislike difficulties related to infrastructure and upgrades management
- 74% complain against frequent CAD crashes in perpetual licensing system
- 63% need to get the entire team access to the CAD.
All of these perfectly fit to cloud CAE users motivation. With Onshape and SimScale, the whole technical product development process has made a huge step into the web. Both CAD as well as CAE functionality is significantly easier to access than with traditional methods. For now, the suggested workflow is the model export on Onshape followed by an import to SimScale to get the simulation done. Here you can watch the recordings of the “Using Onshape and SimScale” webinar sessions. 
 – “Accelerating Innovation on 3rd Platform” – IDC FutureScapes 2015;
 –“Software as a Service (SaaS)”, Gartner IT Glossary;
 Corcoran D. – “Traditional CAD Subscriptions: What Exactly do I Get for Paying these Fees?”, OnShape Blog, February 2016;
 Heiny D. – “CAD & CAE via the Web – Onshape and SimScale Partner Up”, SimScale Blog, June 2015;
 Mirman I. – “Why Customers are Choosing to move to Cloud CAD”, OnShape Blog, February 2016.