Application of CFD in
and Formula SAE
About this workshop
Are you interested in the application of CFD in Formula Student and Formula SAE? Would you like to learn how to develop a car design using a revolutionary cloud-based simulation software?
Join our free Workshop and learn how to use the SimScale platform to test a Formula Student car design from scratch.
- The workshop consists of 4 online webinar sessions and corresponding homework assignments to help you gain a deep understanding of the concepts of Computational Fluid Dynamics introduced.
- With a cloud-based approach, you only need a laptop and Internet access join the webinar sessions and perform the simulation exercises.
- Learning is based on an original CAD model designed and used by a competitive Formula Student team. Participants will be provided with the model as well as generic simulation templates which can be easily adapted to the own designs.
- Participants who submit all 4 homework assignments will receive a free Online Professional Training (value of 500€) and a certificate of participation. In addition, official teams can qualify for a free Professional subscription.
Presenting this workshop:
- Torbjörn Larsson, Former Head of CFD at Sauber, BMW, and Ferrari
- Rene Hilhorst, Former Head of Aerodynamics at Toyota Motorsport
- Nicolas Perrin, Former Head of Trackside Engineering at Manor F1
- Milad Mafi, Academic Program Manager at SimScale
INTRODUCTION TO AERODYNAMICS
Session one: November 29th– 6:30 P.M. CET
The first session will cover the Fundamentals of Aerodynamics. Participants will learn about boundary layer and airfoil theory and how to apply this knowledge to design wings. Following this, participants will perform their very first CFD optimization of a Formula Student rear wing.
COMPLETE CAR AERODYNAMICS
Session two: December 6th – 6:30 P.M. CET
The second session will build on the knowledge acquired during the first session. Participants will learn about the fundamental concepts of Computational Fluid Dynamics and how to create a full car aerodynamics simulation.
Session three: December 13th – 6:30 P.M. CET
During the third session, participants will learn how to develop the aerodynamics of their car based on CFD. We will highlight the best practices for aerodynamics development and perform a live demonstration of a design improvement with the aid of simulation.
Session four: December 19th – 6:30 P.M. CET
The final session will show the participants how to apply their new knowledge of aerodynamics and CFD to their own car design process. The focus will be very hands-on with topics like model cleanup and maintenance as well as CFD methodology and validation.
In collaboration with: