Waterfall to blade

How to create waterfall of 0.8cm radius? The water should fall onto the blade surface and rotate the blade. I tried using external flow but if the flow is small, I have to choose seed face. After choosing seed face, I cannot delete the solid part in the cylinder that I created for rotating zone.

Hello @zasyraf , thanks for using the Forum!

The task you mentioned would involve simulating the interaction between water and air, such as a waterfall. This requires using a type of simulation called multiphase simulation. There are two multiphase modules available in SimScale platform, and while both are accurate, the one in the Subsonic solver is more efficient in terms of computational resources. (both are available to professional subscriptions)

You would also need a 6 degree-of-freedom (6-DOF) solver, which would allow for analyzing the movement and rotation of objects in six different directions when they are subjected to fluid-driven effects. Neither of the multiphase solvers has a 6-DOF solver yet. However, there are plans to potentially add this capability to the Subsonic multiphase module in the future. You can refer to the SimScale product roadmap for more information on upcoming features and improvements. here.

I hope these would be helpful,
Kaan.

Thank you kaany. I already have the rpm of the blade when subjected to waterfall. Do I still need a 6-DOF solver? I am trying to get the water velocity before and after the impact to blades.

@zasyraf If you already have the RPM, then no you don’t need a 6-DOF solver indeed. A multiphase solver with rotating zone capabilities, which is available in both multiphase solvers in SimScale, should be sufficient.

Also to revisit your original question, SimScale CAD mode is only intended for modification purposes, we can prepare the model for the simulation phase. A better option would be to prepare your model in your own CAD software, and leave the clean up operations to CAD mode if necessary. You can alternatively pick one of the geometries presented in public projects to use for your own application.

May I ask if this project is for academic or commercial purposes?

Looking forward to hear from you,
Best.

Thanks for the reply kaany.

Which two are the multiphase solvers? Multiphase and subsonic?

I already have the model for rotating part. What I am having problem is to simulate waterfall to the rotating part.

This project is for academic purpose and I am using my academic enterprise plan.

Looking forward for your guidance.

Thanks!

To create a waterfall with a 0.8cm radius, try adjusting the flow rate and experimenting with different seed faces.

1 Like

Hello again @zasyraf !

That’s great! As an academic user, you should already have access to OpenFOAM multiphase solver which should serve your purpose well. As a starter I’d recommend you to have a look at some settings regarding the rotating zones in this documentation page, as well as on how to tune time step and CFL number in OpeanFOAM multiphase solvers in this documentation page.

I hope these are helpful,
Best.

1 Like

Dear Support Team,

Screenshot 2024-02-01 144646

I recently ran a simulation but there was an error stating that “A multi-region mesh was assigned - this analysis-type requires a single-region mesh.”

I have already deleted the solid bodies after creating a cylinder as rotating zone and after creating an external flow.

Is the error occured because I did not create a cell zone?

this is the link to the simulation:

Thank you.

Hello @zasyraf , thanks for posting your question here!

It appears that the Physics-based meshing is off under the mesh settings, which helps you to automatically create cell zones according to assigned advanced concepts. Enabling physics-based meshing should be a quick fix.

In case physics-bases meshing off is intended, you would need to manually create the cell zones. When using standard mesher, and if the physics based meshing is off, you will have an additional option under the Mesh settings to create cell zones. Please refer to the following knowledge base article for more information.

Side note, please kindly make sure that you create a new post in case your question or answer is not related to the previous discussion, thanks!

I hope this helps,
Kaan