Issue with simulation setup - Multiphase, Hull Resistance

I am working on a small harbour ferry. This ferry should be powered by sails and an electric propulsion system. To make my calculations regarding the sails I have to know the approximate fluid/ air resistance of the designed hull.

Therefore I have created a Multiphase Simulation on the example of an already existing simulation. But I have tried already at least 40 runs with different settings regarding Courant Number, Timesteps and Mesh Quality. They usually stopped after a few minutes with the note that the Courant Number was higher than one and the simulation could be out of bounds.

I do not have any idea anymore why this simulation is not working properly. To calculate the required sail dimensions properly I have to know the accurate hull resistance. Without this information I can not continue with my thesis. I hope someone can assist me with setting up the simulation properly. I have read already all SimScale Topics regarding this issue, but could not fix them.

Hi there, have you checked our Courant number troubleshooting pages?

Let me know if these are helpful :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Fillia

Yes, I did check on them and tried several different values. But it still does not work.

Hi!

Make sure to review the second velocity inlet BC (which is supposed to be water). It’s currently defined with a phase of 0, which represents air.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks, I did not see that. But it is still not working. It seems like the medium is not flowing properly through the enclosure. Any idea how to fix that ?

What else can I do ?

One of the main issues that the setup has right now is the discretization of the water/air interface. Basically the cells are way too coarse, and the interface is captured very poorly:

If you have a look at one of the reference projects for this kind of analysis, notice how extra care is taken for the air/water interface during the meshing operation.

1 Like

Understood. I added a region refinement at the area where the two phases meet. To me it also seems like that the enclosure might be a little bit too small. Am I right ?

Now the Pressure forces in X direction seem to be realistic. But I still have pressure forces in z and y direction which do not make sense. Z is far too high and y should be almost zero since the model is symmetric. Any idea why this is happening ?

I noticed the strange flow pattern. I would try to assign Slip walls on the side to straighten the flow, instead of what you have. If the walls are far enough from the obstacle (the ship), this should be enough.

Anyway, I think it will be difficult to compute the forces using the multiphase simulation. I suggest you to split your model into separate simulations for the water and air portions, and use incompressible analysis to compute the forces. This should bring you really close to actual results.

1 Like

Okay, i will give it a try with the Slip walls. Do I have to change the model if I would like to make separate simulations or can I just reduce the height of the enclosure to “sea-level” ?

Yes, that is exactly what I would do.

This is what I did just now. Still not working. The flow is not going from inlet to outlet. It is going mostly upwards.

I am now trying to improve mesh quality again, but I can not see the Results in under Mesh Quality:

i also receive this message in the meshing log:

Gap refinement size is reaching lower cell size cap for 16 faces. Consider lowering model tolerance if resulting mesh fineness is too coarse.

Gap refinement size is reaching lower cell size cap for 1 regions. Consider lowering model tolerance if resulting mesh fineness is too coarse.

Check edge refinement, Edge 34

Check edge refinement, Edge 28

Check edge refinement, Edge 16

Check edge refinement, Edge 12

Check edge refinement, Edge 375

Check edge refinement, Edge 213

Check edge refinement, Edge 399

Check edge refinement, Edge 443

Hello!

This message means that you have small faces and edges in your model, and that the mesh might not be able to capture them. I couldn’t check because you ran the mesh again, but you should be able to visually inspect that all the relevant details in the model are properly captured in the mesh.

Also, I notice that your current mesh is taking too long. I think you do not need such a big mesh to get proper results in this case. Let’s wait for it to finish and then we can assess.

1 Like

This morning I was trying to access the failure with the mesh quality feature. But somehow I could not change the Isovolume accordingly. Yes, lets see what this run has established.

I think I might cancel the run now. It seems like there is a issue.

Hello.

In case of bad mesh quality, the troubleshooting practices are always the same:

• Open the meshing log and verify which metrics are bad (see a rule of thumb here).
  • Open the mesh quality feature
  • Create an “Isovolumes” filter, and set the range according to which cells you’d like to highlight.

In your case, the bad cells are at the very rear of the geometry:

Having a look at the mesh, it would be in this region (the bad cells are in the other side of the boat as well, in the same position):

Having a look at the red circle, we can see that there is a small “step” in one of the faces, which causes the boundary layers to break and generates bad mesh quality.

With that being said, the options are:

• Clean-up the CAD model
  • Try to filter the small detail out by applying an appropriate small feature suppression (e.g. 5e-4).

If you run into mesh issues in the future, the workflow is always the same.

Cheers

1 Like

Will the incompressible simulation of the hull in water also consider “wave making resistance” ?