Uniaxial compression test of a sandwich structure

I am trying to simulate a compression test which is displacement controlled. The project type is static non linear. Here I use a custom material i.e. AA6060 (aluminium alloy).

But while running this it shows the simulation failed.
Can anybody help me to find out the problem?

Sandwich structure- uniaxial compression | SimScale Workbench

Hi smohaimenul_is

I have a few suggestions.
#1 For me it seems like the core structure seems pretty coars for such a simulation, I would suggest increasing the number of elements on this structure.
For this you can use a regional refinemet or a local element size

#2 As seen in the result control the core structure is penetrating the top layer. Therefore a physical contact needs to be defined between the bottom face of the top layer and the wally of the core pyramids.

It’s a bit abstract, but this crash test attenuator case is simal to your setup.
please have a look at this case in order to see how to set up the physical contacts.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, for meshing I mainly focus on the faces of interest to save my core hours. The top and bottom face plate have little importance for the analysis and I want no data from these two regions.

To avoid rigid body motion I set remote displacement as BC, made the z axis unconstrained and the upper plate as undeformable. Isn’t that appropriate in this case?
The top faces of the pyramid and the upper plate are already in bonded contact if I again add physical contact that detects conflicting contact issues. In this case what is the appropriate contact, please let me know.

Indeed, I am writing in details because I have only 4 simulations left for my current plan that’s why I need to be sure before a final approach.

• A physical contact is defined by replacing the master-slave assignment to avoid conflict.

• Mesh refinement is also done.

Would have a look to this now to check if the set up is alright to start a new run?
Should I delete the remote displacement ?

Hello smohaimenul_is,
I was able to create a working case.
What I did is I chose the top surface as the master and the side surfaces of the pyramids as slave faces.
I kept the top faces of the pyramids as bonded contact.

I also refined the surfaces of the pyramid to improve the contact calculation.
This is the result I got.

And here is the mesh.

In regards to the number of simulation runs, if you are a student and this is a project for your university, please have a look at the academic plan here:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Sebastian. It is indeed a great support for me.

Hi again,
I was able to run the case but I could not hide the top plate to see my deformed structure. Is there any way to do that?

Yes, by clicking on the eye icon next to the part name on the right-hand side panel, you can hide parts. For example, fig 43/44 in this tutorial.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.
In fact, in my geometry, there are 10 different bodies but after simulating, in the solution fields there I can see only 8 bodies. That’s why I could not hide the top plate. Is there any way out?

It seems to work as expected to me - we have 10 volumes visible in the post-processor and I can hide the top volume as well.

Oh, now I got it! After hiding the ‘STEPS’ , all 10 bodies appear.
Thanks for assisting me.

I am writing in details because I have only 4 simulations left for my current plan that’s why I need to be sure before a final approach.. .