Turbine rotation simulation

Hi. I am trying to simulate a turbine rotating as a result of an incident axial wind. I already ran some simulations and it seems like I can only have the turbine already rotating and propelling the incoming air as a result. Is there any way I can have the turbine static and start rotating as a result of the incoming wind? If there is a way, can I also measure the rotational velocity of the turbine? On previous simulations I’ve done, the turbine doesn’t appear to be rotating.

Ultimately, I’m aiming to measure the efficiency of a wells turbine, so any methods to do so within SimScale would be appreciated.

Hi there,
It seems like you are looking to create a rotating zone.
This tutorial might be a good starting point Fluid Flow Through a Water Turbine | Tutorial | SimScale
Furthermore, these articles can help:

1. How to Prepare the CAD for Simulating Rotating Zones | SimScale
  2. Rotating Zones | Advanced Concepts | SimScale

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

By setting a rotating zone, is my turbine solely spinning at the fixed rate that I set it (independent to the flow of the air)? How can I get it so that the turbine’s rotation is accelerated by the wind? Does it have anything to do with forces and moment’s in result control? Should I set the rotational velocity (ω) to 0?

Thanks,
JJ