Porous Media Simulation [Incorrect Results]

Hello All,

I am trying to simulate the following domain with two plates as shown in the figures below.

This is how the grill/plate/screen looks like

I wanted to run the simulation without the physical holes using porous media. I created the porous region with the Forchheimer coefficient calculated from this website. I used the the following quantities for the Forchheimer coefficient.

Porosity : 0.4225%
Hydraulic Diameter : 0.5 mm (holes are square)
Thickness : 1mm

This resulted in a Forchheimer coefficient of 3211. This value was given as f_y value

As the media is non-isotropic I put the Forchheimer coefficient in the f_x and f_z as 1000 times this value.

The result of the simulation seems to be a bit weird. The velocity contour acts as if there is no porous media present. The contour is shown here

To compare this is the simulation I ran in OpenFOAM with the physical holes. I expect the results from the porous media to be similar.

Here is the link to the project. Please let me know what I am doing wrong, if I have done any mistake please tell me as I am a beginner in this type of simulation :slight_smile:

Hello Harish,

First off: Welcome to SimScale! It looks like you have a good handle of most of the simulation setup with the platform which is great to see!

Regarding the modeling of porous media using the Porous Media Advanced Concept within SimScale (or other simulation tools), it’s important to note that it is only well suited for certain applications.
Since the physical 3D shape of the screen/porous media isn’t modeled, the assumption with using the porous media modeling from the Advanced Concept panel is that the flow along the plane of the porous media (left/right/into & out of the page in reference to your screenshots) is insignificant/near zero compared to the flow across the porous media (up and down).

When defining the Cartesian components of the Darcy-Forcheimer coefficients, this is to define the direction of flow, and therefore, the direction of pressure loss. This is necessary as the porous media model is being applied to a basic box body with no information as to how the pressure loss is modeled spatially. So the pressure loss in the x & z components for your specific porous media is meant to be insignificant to the problem; those x & z coefficients should be zero.

Since your inlet flow is along the plane of the porous media entrance, it is a best practice to model the porous media geometry explicitly as you’ve done with your local OpenFOAM case.
You can see from the flow streamlines in your OpenFOAM case that the x-component of the velocity (horizontal, left/right direction) reaches a stagnation point on the sides of the grill walls. This flow behavior can only be modeled using the explicit 3D model of the grill/screen. The porous media is only meant to be modeling pressure losses, not flow stagnation / direction changes.

If you look at the pressure contours of the model you have, the static pressure rises promptly at the exit of the 2 inlet channels before dropping rapidly again due to the sudden cross sectional expansion. This means that the region with the highest pressure will be where the most flow occurs across the porous media. This is why the flow across the porous media element is focused near the exit of the 2 inlet channels. The highlighted regions have the greatest pressure on the entrance side of the porous media, so as expected, the fluid flows in through here.

Where to go from here:
You should account for the explicit 3D model of the screen/grill in your flow domain rather than using the porous media modeling feature. If you are modeling inline pipe flow, where the flow direction is along the direction of pressure loss from the porous media, that is when the feature is more applicable (see below, where the red arrow is the direction of flow).

Further, if you want to ensure you generate a good quality mesh and efficiently run the problem, I’d recommend the following adjustments to your setup (not necessary, but more reliable/faster runtime):

1. Cut the geometry in half (or quarter section) and use the symmetry boundary condition to model the geometry & problem mirroring across the selected boundary plane.

2. If the standard mesher isn’t generating a suitable mesh for the tiny gaps on the screen/grill section of the flow domain, use the Mesh Region Refinement (which you seem to already have a handle on) or try using the Hex-dominant mesher, which uses the snappyHexMesh method for meshing.

For either case, modeling friction/pressure losses along surfaces will be more accurate when adding in Boundary/Prism layers in the mesh. This can simply be toggled on within the Mesh settings:

As a last note: You don’t need to explicitly select all the No-Slip walls and define them in your list of boundary conditions. All non-selected walls will automatically be treated as such.

I hope this helps you progress in addressing your simulation problem and informs you of how to (and not to) use the Porous Media modeling feature.

Cheers,
Omar

1 Like

Hello Omar
Thank you for the prompt response.
Regarding the flow coefficients

I tried one simulation with the coefficients as zero, however it did not result in good results.

As for this, my ultimate goal is to simulate a fine mesh like a filter, I have attached a picture here:
woven_mesh

This would be a very resource intensive simulation (both for CAD and CFD) is there any way I can simulate such a filter/mesh in a similar fluid domain similar to that I have tried to simulate here ?

I’d say that these two types of meshes are fairly different.

The thicker plate/grill geometry has a larger thickness that stagnates a significant height of the horizontal
cross flow as shown in the streamlines from the OpenFOAM results. These OpenFOAM results seem valid, as the pressure is “contained” along the length of the flow region between the 2 between the screen plates, so the flow distribution in the z-direction is more uniform along the breadth of the screen.

The finer, thinner mesh screen is a scenario where this cross flow stagnation behavior is far less significant, and the porous media modeling feature would be more suitable to use. At that point, the sudden cross section expansion of the flow domain would result in a local static pressure region as shown in the highlighted diagram in the original post and below. My assumption is that a finer screen should indeed have a solution that is more aligned with the results you’re seeing now due to this sudden expansion/local pressure rise, therefore the z-direction flow is more significant near the outlet of the 2 channels.

Omar

Thank you omar. I will run a simulation for a finer screen and post the results here.