Unable to create a HexParametric/automatic Mesh having created a standard mesh

Hi,
I have been receiving the following error when meshing a half car DrivAer model for external flow using both Hex based algorithm: “The model cannot be tessellated for Hex-dominant meshing. Please use Standard meshing or check the model”. I was wondering if there is a specific issue with the model that could be causing this issue so I could try and resolve it in CAD.
I have also attempted to mesh with and without refinements which doesn’t seem to change anything.
Any guidance on this will be much appreciated!

Project: DrivAer Initial Setup | SimScale

Hi, this is Fillia, thanks for using the forum!

In case you are getting this error message, then you should definitely consider switching to the Standard meshing algorithm. here are some documents to help you with the transition:

1. Aerodynamic Flow Behavior Around a Vehicle Tutorial | SimScale
  2. Standard Mesher | Meshing for CAE | Documentation | SimScale
  3. How to Check and Improve Mesh Quality | SimScale

Best regards,
Fillia

1 Like

Hi Fillia. Thanks for your reply and the documentation links, I have tried to make changes as recommended in the “Checking and Improving mesh Quality” doc.
I have been attempting a Hex Mesh as I am hoping it can significantly reduce the computational time of the model. Having had issues initially, I referenced the following project by @aeggers as the HexMesh has worked in this particular project. So was wondering what the issue could be in my setup as the model is identical in both cases.
drivAer scaled model | SimScale

As I can see, you are not using the same model though, as yours is Parasolid, whereas aeggers is using STL. You can try copying the project and meshing the STL with the hex dominant parametric as a workaround, however, the Standard mesher is recommended from my side :wink:

Regards,
Fillia