Step-by-Step Tutorial Session 1 - Front Wing Design Study (Part 2)

Link to part 1 of the tutorial:

Step-by-Step Tutorial Session 1 - Front Wing Design Study (Part 1)

Introduction

Welcome to the second part of the step-by-step tutorial for the simulation of a Formula SAE front wing. In this part of the tutorial we will show you how to do the post processing directly in SimScale, and we will dive into some of the results so that we can compare both wing setups.

Post-processing

When your simulation is completed, proceed to Post-Processor tab in order to post-process your results.

We will show the post-processing only for the first simulation results. You can then follow the same steps in order to post-process other configuration results

Once in Post-Processor, click on Solution fields under Run-Standard in order to load the results in the viewer. Due to fine mesh it can take up to 5 minutes to load the results in to the viewer.

Filters/Visualization

Slice

For faster and efficient reviewing of the results, we will use slice filter. In order to add the filter, do the following:

Go to Add Filter and select Slice

1. Change Origin middle value i.e. y value to 0.6

2. Change Normal to (0,1,0)

3. Uncheck Show Plane.

4. Click Apply to save the changes.

5. Next set camera orientation to +Y from the View tool over the viewer to get a proper view.

Velocity

Change the Field to U [point-data] in order to see the velocity field. Zoom the results with the mouse roller and drag from middle mouse button to get a reasonable view. Turn on the color bar and drag it by holding mouse left button to the bottom.

Pressure Coefficient

Next we will plot the pressure coefficient. Since this field doesn’t exist, we need to create one. First uncheck the colorbar (important; if you don’t do it, you may end up with two different colorbars in the next step) then select Calculator from Add Filter.

Once the calculator filter is added:

1. Change the Result Array Name and Function to Cp and (p-6.2)/(0.5 * 20 * 20) respectively.

2. Click Apply to create a pressure coefficient field.

3. Change Field to Cp[point-data] to see the results.

Streamlines

Click on the small eye next to the slice and the calculation to hide those filters. Then right click on Solution Fields under Run-Standard and click on Add result to viewer. This can take some time.

When it loads, click on the new solution field and under Mesh regions select all the faces for the wing (no boundingBox# should be selected). In this case it should be just two (solid_0_FWing and solid_0_flap).

Click on Apply. This will load into the viewer the wing and not the air.

When the wing loads, select Solid color for the field.

Click on the previous Run-Standard (the one that has the slices and calculator), select Add Filter and then select Stream tracer.

You are free to play around with the Center and Number of Points to get a visualization you like. You can also choose what field you want to visualize, and remember to turn on the color bar. For this case we used:

• Center: (1.2 , 0.6 , 0.1)
  • Number of points: 100
  • Radius: 0.15
  • Field: U [point-data]

Pressure distribution on wing

Hide the Stream Tracer by clicking on the eye to the left of it.

Now click on the “Run-Standard” that corresponds to the wing, and for Field select p [point-data]. This will show you the pressure distribution on the surface of the wing so you can see where the most downforce is being generated.

If you select U [point-data] for the Field the whole wing will look blue. This is because at the surface of the car the air is at a complete standstill.

Additional Features

Screenshot

If you want to take a screenshot of your results, click on the camera icon under View tools. Your screenshot will appear under Result Evaluation section.

Save State

Furthermore, in order to save the state for later use, click on the Save State button. A window will pop up, give a reasonable name e.g. Saved state - Standard (optional) in this case. Your saved state will also appear under Result Evaluation section.

Area Averages

Lastly to see the plotted data requested beforehand during the simulation setup, switch over to WingMain under the Force plot.

This data will give you information on the lift and drag being produced by the wing. For future reference: if these plots haven’t reached a stable value, your simulation hasn’t reached the steady state.

Homework Submission

Homework Deadline: The homework deadline has been extended until September, 26th 11:59 pm CEST

Click Here to Submit your Homework

Recommendations About Comments

If you run into issues during your process, before adding a comment to the thread please consider the following:

1. Go over the tutorial one last time and compare it to your setup. Is everything the same?
  2. Go over the existing comments. Maybe someone has had the same problem and it’s already solved.
  3. Is there an actual error? Or is it taking a long time to load?
    a. If it seems to be a loading issue, please give it some time or refresh the page. Sometimes due to the internet connection the platform may seem slow.

If it’s a new issue that you can’t solve, please outline the issue as specifically as possible and include a link to your project. This will help us figure out what is going on faster and thus we can get back to you faster.

Results

Animation: U [m/s] - X Normal

1 Like

Hi, I am not able to open the Simulation Results from both (the standard and the higjh downforce) Models. It always gets stuck at the screen pictured below, when I try to open the solution fields. Is anybody having the same problem?

I tried reloding the page and waiting for hours with no success. I am having this problem since yesterday 4p.m.

5 Likes

Same for me

same here …

same problem

Hi @davidklein, @jvinas, @pkrizan & @Torque!

The team is looking into it and try to fix this as soon as possible. Sorry for the lost productivity.

Will get back to you once it is fixed.

Best,

Jousef

2 Likes

Hi
I have the same problem as the guys above. Do you know when is this issue going to be fixed?
Best,
Jakub

Same problem…

Hi
I too have the same problem as the people above. Will this problem hamper our homework?
Can I submit the homework without post processing?

Same problem.

Has the problem been fixed?? I cant post process my project yet.

The same thing with me 5 hrs ago.

Hi. I have the same problem.

Same here.

Same here. What are we supposed to do with our homework then?

Same here

Hi simscale people, also getting the problem, upon refresh I got this:

"
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /postproc-ng-static/apps/SimScale/embed.html.

Reason: Error reading from remote server
"
in the ‘view window’ part of the dashboard, where the mesh/whatever would usually be. Hopefully this might be of some use.

Congrats btw on last week’s webinar. It was great, and you’ve clearly got the pull to rope in such a good guest presenter.

3 Likes

I am also still getting stuck on this section. The simulation fields will not load in either standard or high downforce

1 Like

I’m having the same problem!

I experience the same problem