Regarding sliding mesh in drone simulation

I have Done some simulation on the drone after watching the videos of simscale on youtube .
but now I want to go on next step. I have read one referance paper which gives the cfd of drone. they create simulation in which drone moves in reality using sliding mesh. following are lines from the papers
‘’ The computational domain was divided into two main regions: the flow around the vehicle, which includes the four rotating subdomains corresponding to the propellers; an the remaining fluid. In the interface between them, a sliding condition allows for the displacement of the former over the latter domain. Additionally, a layering condition is applied to the extreme walls of the drone domain. This way, the movement of the drone model is generated by creating new cells in the walls of one extreme of the domain, and destroying cells at the opposite extreme. The entire simulated travel is shown in Fig. 4. From the initial position, the drone begins a horizontal movement towards the obstacle, flying over it and returning to free flight in the other side. The forward velocity was constant at different values,
and the rotational velocity of the propellers was set to 1000 rad/s ‘’ fig is shown in below screen shot

please some one will help me to set this simulation

Hi @vonek35891 ,
This is Ajit from the team. Thanks for using SimScale’s forum.

This study looks interesting. From the images, I can see that the drone movements are captured at different positions across the obstacle. Is this an example case from a paper? Would that be possible to share the boundary condition details available in the paper for me to investigate further?

My approach would be the following, if you are not concerned about the rate of change of state:

1. Split the entire drone path into several simulations (for example one without the obstacle, one at the corner of the obstacle and then one on top of the obstacle)
  2. Collect the results and then compare the required parameters to see the effects.

Here is a sample drone study performed with SimScale for your reference: Rotating Zones Drone Simulation | Tutorial | SimScale

Would that work for your case? Otherwise, it would need a complex dynamic simulation with translational effects and mesh morphing to achieve this. Are you looking at such simulations for professional use? I would be happy to discuss further if required.

With Kind regards,
Ajit

1 Like

Yes I am looking for the this kind of simulation for professional use.
And yes this is example case from paper. I will share you the link of the reference paper.
The method you suggest I have tried before but I want a sliding mesh.

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2020.104378

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2020.104378

please share your feedback after reading the paper.

Hi @vonek35891,

Thanks for sharing the reference paper. We have performed similar validations with DJI drone on the ground effect here: Validation Case: Quadcopter Ground to Air Thrust

Regarding the sliding mesh approach to translate the drone along the flight path, it would need the mesh re-layering model, which is unfortunately not supported by SimScale at the moment. I am afraid, SimScale could only support the breakdown approach I mentioned above to achieve this.

I am happy to have a short discussion on a call if you are still interested in such an approach. SimScale does have a public road map where you can submit your requests to be considered. Please feel free to add your notes there for our product team.

With Kind Regards,
Ajit