Modal analysis (by Calculix) - Not longer supported?

Dear Simscale team,

Modal analysis to calculate the eigenfrequencies and eigenshapes of a structure is a very basic analysis type. Simscale used in the past the Calculix solver for this analysis type. Any background why such a fundamental analysis type (see What Is Modal Analysis and Why Is It Necessary? | SimScale Blog) is no longer supported by Simscale?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @dgiljohann!

Indeed this feature is not part of our modules inside SimScale anymore - it simply has not been used that often. If you are still interested in this feature and would like to have it back I would highly recommend to put your wish into the Vote For Features category.

If you have any questions feel free to post your thoughts down below or drop me a private message.

All the best!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi jousefm,

I created a detailed feature request:

In case Simscale decides to implement it again you may contact me for any testing of this or other acoustic/dynamic features. Thank you!

1 Like

Any update on whether modal analysis is coming back to SimScale? I created an account just for this type of analysis and am slightly disappointed that it is no longer available. I’ll have to give ANSYS Fluent a try.

Hi @tsoares,

Let me tag my friend @jousefm who may be able to better address your question!

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like

Hey there @tsoares!

We have no fixed date for the release but it is definitely on our roadmap so stay tuned :slight_smile: We will announce it in the new section as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience and remain loyal :slight_smile:

Jousef

Hello @jousefm
When will the modal analyis be released. Is there any tentative date. Or it is already available and I am less informed?

Thanks
Rahul

Hi @rahul_reddy,
perfect timing, try to create a new simulation and check for the available analysis types :wink:
(Full release notes will follow on Monday)

Best,
Richard

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Hi @rszoeke and @jousefm,

I have not seen the release notes discussing this feature yet but I have tried it out a couple of times with some success.

One thing I have not figured out is how to display the deformed mode shapes. I am able to view the first mode but I can not find a way to show any other modes. Can you provide some guidance on showing the mode shapes?

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi @cjquijano,
there is currently a limitation in the post-processor that you have to delete first the animation of the previous mode and then create a new one for the newly selected frequency. This might be the reason for your issue.

Can you check if it works for you as shown in this video: https://www.useloom.com/share/8051dafb8b07433caba62c05b866bdd7

Best,
Richard

1 Like

Thanks @rszoeke,

That helps although its not really intuitive. Any chance the modes can actually be labeled as “Modes” and not “Time”?

Christopher

Any suggestions how to do acoustic analysis? Compressible unsteady flow?

Hi @ngerasimov!

You can give the acoustic analysis feature request a vote here: Acoustic analysis .

Best,

Jousef

I’ve done, but it’s not the task. I need to do calculations, is there any option for that or should I use another software
(which one)?

Hi @ngerasimov!

In this case you have to use another software, either COMSOL or if you want to experiment with another approach use LBM (Lattice-Boltzmann Method) - give OpenLB a try.

Best,

Jousef