Just one FEA Book

Hi there everyone
First time on the forum, also new to FEA and Simscale, Is there just one book that you could recommend which will help me understand Simscale/FEA a little beter.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham,

glad to have you here.

To understand SimScale per se I would recommend you to see the

• documentation: SimScale Documentation | Online Simulation Software | SimScale

• tutorials: SimScale Tutorials and User Guides | Cloud-Based CAE | SimScale

• or learning videos: SimScale Tutorials and User Guides | Cloud-Based CAE | SimScale

My favourite book for FEA is “Introduction to the Finite Element Method – Niels Ottosen & Hans Petersson” which can be bought here: Introduction to the Finite Element Methods

My secret tip for you is the following book: A First Course in Finite Elements - Fish&Belytschko

Having both books I would say Ottosen is way better because it goes way more into details concerning the theory!

But the book of Belytschko has way more examples and goes more into the practical application which I also like! You chose! :slight_smile:

If you want more information just ask.

Cheers! :v:

2 Likes

Hi jousefm

Thank for the reply, great info especially A First Course in Finite Elements by Jacob Fish and Ted Belytschko1 in PDF format thanks for that I will give it a try.

I have followed a lot of the tutorials, but a lot of then are based on Air/Fluid flow, where I use a lot of Static
Mechanical design. I have used the Documentation a fair bit but me and documentation don’t get on very well, maybe I search giving too much information, I good do with a tutorial on using documentation, lol.

Thanks again

Graham

You’re welcome Graham(@CadManDo, cool name btw) .

Just see what you are interested in and if you have questions just ask :slight_smile:

The documentation is pretty good but developing.

One little question: If we would create a new thread with the basics/fundamentals of the Finite-Element-Analysis or Computational Fluid Dynamics, what would you like to see? More theory, more application or mixed?

Happy simulating!

Hi
A mixture of both seems a great idea, at the moment i am lagging behind in both, please keep me informed, I hope to be learning a lot from the forum, no doubt I will be asking a few questions and asking for advice.

Up to now Anna has been a fantastic help with a few projects and modifications to my Onshape (step) files, as I stated I am new to FAE and Simscale and some of my Onshape Models have too much small detail and stop Simscale completing the simulation Runs,hopefully I will get the hang of it.

Originally I asked Anna this question(thread) and it was her who suggested I post the question to the Forum.

Regards
Graham

Salut @CadManDo,

okay I will keep in touch with Anna and we will decide how we can set up the Theory/Fundamentals of CFD as well as FEM. I am willing to do some things volunatrily for the FEM part (also because I am still a noob in CFD…). I thought about starting with the basic equations or tensor algebra going to the strong form, trial functions and so on…

The best thing is to ask people like you what they want to see so that I can make sure I have a public watching my “tutorials” :slight_smile:

Practice makes perfect! :wink:

Cheers,

Jousef

Welcome to the forum @CadManDo - great first thread you’ve got going here! Thanks for jumping right in @jousefm - these look like excellent resources for learning FEA.

Creating of series of Fundamentals of FEA and CFD topics here in the forum in definitely an initiative I’m excited about Jousef. Let’s get the ball rolling! I’ll be in touch!

Best,
Anna

Fish & Belytschko is a nice book and explains in a very simple language. But again it is limited to linear finite elements.

For a more detailed treatise, I would recommend the book by Zienkiewicz & Taylor (The Finite Element Method Set | ScienceDirect). This is a three-part book and extremely comprehensive. So it is not only for the beginner but also for advanced users. I almost haven’t found a question that they would not touch in these books.

For understanding the numerics behind nonlinear finite elements, I strongly suggest the book by Peter Wriggers on “Nonlinear Finite Element Method” (http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783540710004).

If you are interested in Contact Mechanics particularly, then his book “Computational Contact Mechanics” (Computational Contact Mechanics | SpringerLink) is somewhat the Bible!

4 Likes

ajaybharish Thanks for the information

Cadmando

@ajaybharish, great list, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@ajaybharish Nice list mate! Exactly what I would recommend!

If you are interested in the implementation of contact mechanics with FORTRAN etc… I would recommend the book: Introduction to Computational Contact Mechanics: A Geometrical Approach | Wiley

It is a book from a guy at our university. Unfortunately you have to pay for that unless your library has some samples.

See also the resources of the book of Konyukhov: Wiley Higher Education Supplementary Website

Cheers and good luck,

Jousef

1 Like

@jousefm:

Yup, I definitely agree that the book by Konyukhov is pretty excellent. Things are explained in a very simple manner that is comprehensible by beginners too.

I have been at a crash course by Konyukhov at Hannover where we went through most of the elements in this book. I can definitely say it is helpful in understanding what is happening behind the scene.

1 Like

K.j.bathe is also good text for reading.

1 Like

Fundamental of tensor calculus should be strong to understand the math of FEM andCFD

1 Like