How do I simplify fastener geometry for bolt pre-load boundary conditions?

As described in the documentation page for the bolt preload boundary condition, the fastener shank geometry must be simplified into cylindrical surfaces. Also, small chamfers leading into the nuts and bolt heads should be removed and all parts should be cleanly imprinted to one another.

Fortunately, all of these tasks can be performed using the various geometry prep tools available within the SimScale CAD Mode so you do not need to modify your design model in your CAD package.

Let’s consider the following typical nut and bolt combo:

The threads on this fastener pair need to be removed in order to properly simulate this component. Let us first consider the bolt. In the SimScale CAD mode, the “Simplify” body command can automatically represent this bolt as a simple cylinder:

This is the resulting part:

Then, the boolean subtract body operation can be used to eliminate most of the threads from the nut:

The remaining thread surfaces can be dealt with using the Delete (Face) operation:

This leaves us with a clean threaded surface of the nut:

Finally, the imprint operation can be used to topologically split any mating faces for contact and BC purposes. Note that this is a global operation, so it should be done as a last step once all fasteners are prepped:

Here is the resulting, fully prepared fastener pair:

From here out, the components can be modeled using contacts and the bolt preload BC in your structural finite element analysis.

1 Like

As far as I know, when it comes to simplifying fastener geometry for bolt pre-load boundary conditions, SimScale’s CAD Mode has got you covered. It provides handy tools to help you simplify the design without modifying it in your CAD package.

By the way, I recently have been browsing online for some good deals for bolts and fasteners, and I stumbled upon this cool website called Scrooz at https://www.scrooz.com.au/. They have a wide range of fasteners that you might find helpful. Just thought I’d share it with you in case you need some specific parts. Good luck with your project, and I hope these tips make your life a bit easier!

Simplifying fastener geometry for bolt pre-load boundary conditions can be achieved by making certain assumptions and simplifications while maintaining the essential characteristics of the joint. Here are some steps to simplify the geometry:

1. Model the fastener as an idealized cylindrical shape: In many cases, you can simplify the complex geometry of the actual fastener by representing it as a simplified cylindrical shape, such as a solid cylinder or a simplified screw model.
1 Like