Geometry size limitations

I didn’t come across anything of the sort in the help files so asking it here directly. What is the minimum geometry size that Simscale can accept as a file for native format?

I’m trying to upload a geometry that is 0.6 mm in height and 0.15 mm in thickness. It has circular arcs at certain locations and the Simscale is destorting the geometry considerably. However, when I upload the same Geometry in STL format, it rescales the geometry to a bigger dimension and then is able to read the geometrical features correctly.

I don’t know how to make an Openfoam Mesh and have only experience of using ANSYS Meshing so haven’t tried uploading a mesh file direclty.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Hi @shamshx!

I will reach out to my colleague and see if there’s an actual minimum size. For an OF upload mesh process:

1. Zip the entire “constant” folder
  2. Upload it using “Upload mesh” option with type as “OpenFOAM” selected

Will get back to you asap. Also note that you can use the scaling function inside the workbench (if applicable of course)

Edit: The only thing that is done for geometries is to remove tiny faces and if your model is very tiny ~1e-5m, that can cause some trouble.

Best,

Jousef

As Jousef mentioned, the scaling function can be useful here. I’ve already done the following work-around on a small geometry:

• Scale it up e.g. by 10x in your CAD software;
  • Import and scale it down in SimScale. This helps for some geometries.

Also, about meshes, I'll try to condense information in a single post:
  • SimScale currently accepts .med and FOAM format for mesh upload;
  • Meshes in the FOAM format can only be used for CFD. .med may be used for CFD/FEA;
  • OpenFOAM has a series of mesh conversion utilities, which allow conversion from several different packages (fluent, gambit, cfx, star-cd) to the FOAM format. Check here for more information.
  • More details about uploading FOAM meshes can be found here.
  • For .med meshes, you have to define groups for, at least, volume and faces. These will be used to define boundary conditions later on. By defining groups for nodes and edges, it’s also possible to use edge/node based boundary conditions.

Note: .med versions 3.2 or 3.3 work fine!

3 Likes

One more question. Is it possible to import Assemblies or multibodies? I am making a frictional contact between 2 bodies and need to add 2 bodies together and align them in contact.

Hey @shamshx!

You can import assemblies into SimScale, check out this FAQ section for more information: CAD Preparation & Upload | Simulation Setup | SimScale

Let us know if you have further questions!

Jousef