Finding the Drag Coefficient

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is safe and healthy during these challenging times. I was just wondering if someone could help me find the drag coefficient of a 3d model I have created. I have already ran a simulation and I just need help with the post processing, especially the drag coefficient. Thank you!

The link to my project:

CFD Squad, can you help out our user here. Also tagging @dschroeder!

All the best!

Jousef

Hi @sungjoo_lim,

Please take a look at to following SimScale documentation:

How to Analyze the Pitch, Lift and Drag Coefficients.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like

Hello @Retsam,

Thank you for the documentation. However, I am afraid to say that I don’t quite understand, considering that I have a meshed domain.

Hi sungjoo,

What I do is to postprocess the results in Paraview.
There you can find the Lift and Drag forces, therefore the coefficients.

Best regards,

Jaime

@sungjoo_lim: you do not need Paraview in order to get CD (drag coefficient). It can be calculated in SimScale simulation.

However I still suggest that you study a bit more the documentation about CD. Here is an easy explanation:

Drag Coefficient

In Simscale, you have to user ‘Result control > Forces and moments > Forces and moments coefficients’. However you have to know the ‘Reference area value’ of your geometry. Documentation mentioned above should allow you to understand the need for that area.

Take care,

Retsam

3 Likes

Hello @Retsam ,

Thank you for the document, it was clear and easy to follow.

I was wondering if there is an example of a project/simulation that finds the drag coefficient to see how the inputs and post processing would look like.

Hi @sungjoo_lim,

You can refer to my latest project where I aim to validate and check CL/CD values for various different aerofoil shapes and configs for 2D or 3D geometries.

Do look through it and if you have any questions feel free to ask here.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry