Compressible simulation of a Turbofan

Hi,

I have a project where i need to simulate compressible flow around the inlet of the nacelle (turbofan). I only know my velocity (Mach 0.8 or 236.768 m/s) and air temperate (218 K) / pressure (23842Pa). I am new to Simscale and would like some advice on how to simulate this project. I have started simulating somthing but i got a temperature divergence error. I have increased the mesh refinement but it keeps showing this error. Here is my project link: SimScale

Regards,

Syed

1 Like

HI Syed, thank you for using the forum!

I see that you managed to overcome the divergence, and created a new run a few hours ago. Are you satisfied with the results? :slight_smile:

Keep in mind to check these pages when divergence occurs:

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia,

Thank you for your help,

The simulation worked only for low speed however when i try increase the speed to 265m/s (Mach 0.8) the temperature diverges. I have refined the mesh multiple times but it keeps giving me this error. Any idea how to fix this?

I have another project file which has a better mesh and still keeps giving me divergence error. Here is the link to that project file: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7974882372988642661&mi=run%3A26%2Csimulation%3A24&mt=SIMULATION_RUN

Regards,
Syed

Hey Syed, I recommend the following:

1. Increase the domain like in Figure 8 here: Compressible Flow Around a Wing | Tutorial | SimScale

2. You can create an additional cartesian box, bigger than Cartesian Box 1, and add another region refinement. I am not sure why you created the rest of the region refinements though - with the small cartesian boxes-, the approach the tutorial is using should be enough.

Try these two settings as a start, and let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia,

Thank you for your help but i am still getting a temperature divergence error. It failed on Simulation Runs named 236.768m/s “Mesh Refined”. Is there any way of fixing this.

Here is the Project File: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7974882372988642661&mi=run%3A44%2Csimulation%3A24&mt=SIMULATION_RUN

Regards,

Syed