Axial and radial fan fluid simulation

Hello,

I want to simulate air movement around the cover from a 3D printer I created.

There are a total of 2 radial fans (40x40x10 )and one axial fan (30x30x10). Im guessing I have to use the “Fan” boundry condition, but I have no idea how to use it.

I know from a project I created to simulate air in cooling ducts that there is a velocity inlet condition, but now I want to see the movement of the air as well as inside of the cover as outside of the cover. I dont need to see how air moves around the fan blades inside them, hence why I left that geometry out. So far I have created a flow region with pressure outlet all around, but thats as far as I have managed to come.

Thank you for any help!

Hello @BluE_BrO, thanks for using the forum!

Do you already have a fan curve to induce the pressure jump? If not, physically modelling the fan blades may be your only choice by using rotating zones.

Also sharing a link to your project will be much more efficient for users in the forum to guide you.

Best,

Kaan.

Thank you for your response!

Here is the link if anybody is interested.
I have manged to find fan curves for both of the fans and read up on the momentum forces for internal volume fans. Ill try it first with the fan curve and if Ill have no luck, Ill try rotating zones.
4010 Radial Fan curve for anyone interested:

and 3010 axial fan curve:

Thank you a lot for your help, I will report back what worked and what didnt!

That’s good to hear, thanks for sharing the data. I’m sure it will be helpful for users who are interested in 3D printing simulations.

One thing I noticed for now, two additional faces are selected as pressure outlet inside the geometry if thats unintended. Please also be aware that the pressure that should be defined in Incompressible simulations is gauge pressure not absolute.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,

Best of luck,
Kaan.

After manually picking points from the fan curves for fans I was able to import CSV files and it worked like a charm!

Also thank you for pointing out those two additional faces inside the geometry, that was a missclick on my part. :slight_smile:

Its just what I needed, thank you for your help once again.

You’re most welcome! I’m glad to help and to see that you’ve already obtained results.

Best,
Kaan.