Where did Harmonic Analysis go?

Hi,

Recently I went back to SimScale after several weeks without any simulation in my schedule. I was surprised to see that now it is possible to carry out a Frequency analysis, which was not possible the last time I was simulating in the platform, good point! However, on the other hand, Harmonic Analysis seems to be deactivated at the moment. What’s the reason for that? I have been looking for some information in the forum regarding this issue but I couldn’t find anything related to it. When will it be available again?

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex!

Thanks for the feedback! I will ask about the harmonic analysis type and get back to you as soon as I know more.

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @alex_roque,

Thanks for raising that question. And yes, very valid point, which we didn’t yet explain to the community.

When we released the new Workbench in fall of last year we internally agreed to a certain standard in regards to user-friendliness and ease of use when it comes to shipping features. The harmonic analysis feature, while technically ready, does not yet meet the quality criteria we want to reach and we’d need to invest a bit more time into it before making it publicly accessible.

However, due to the limited requests from our customers and the community for it so far, we postponed those improvements in favor of other new features. The public release of the harmonic analysis feature is planned for Q2 2019 atm.

The goal of SimScale is to make simulation accessible to everybody. And in this case we decided to rather postpone the release of a feature and do it properly instead of shipping an unnecessarily difficult to use analysis type.

I hope this makes sense. Stay tuned for a lot of other awesome stuff to come soon :wink:

Best,
Sebastian

Note: In case you require access to it urgently, we’d be able to selectively enable it for you. But we can’t provide any support or feature improvements for it at the moment.

2 Likes

Hi @pi3141,

Thanks for the input. It’s good to know that this feature is not lost forever. I am interested in keep using it although it’s not completely ready. I understand that the only point you are improving is it’s user-friendliness to make look as nice as the rest of the available features at the moment, but if I can keep using it as it was some months ago I don’t need anything else. Can you, please, enable it for me?

Thanks

Alex

Hi @alex_roque,

it should now be enabled for you. Have fun!

Best,
Sebastian

2 Likes

It is enabled! Next week I will give it a try! Thank you @pi3141! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @pi3141 and @jousefm,

Finally, today I managed to run an harmonic simulation. Everything went fine but in the end the results don’t show up! I checked the log file but I couldn’t see anything (I don’t understand french very well so it was not a full check :grin:). Here you can see the run, can you help me see the results? Maybe it is a memory issue or something like that, not sure… If someone could give me some insight I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Hi @alex_roque,

Do create a separate post with your project link under the Project Support category where we can better address this.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @alex_roque,
there seems to be an issue with result processing for in case you request module+phase results.
If you restrict the simulation output to only real+imaginary representation of the complex results, it should work.

I already reported the issue and we will fix it as soon as possible. Will let you know once it it released.

Best,
Richard

1 Like

Hi @alex_roque,
the issue is now resolved and you can again use also magnitude+phase result output for harmonic analyses as you like.

Best,
Richard

Could I be granted access to harmonic analysis? I need to run some simulations of support beams for a university project.

Hey @vzinic!

We will get back to you as soon as possible!

Update: You should have the Harmonic Analysis enabled :slight_smile:

Jousef

Hi,

Wondering if I could be granted access to Harmonic Analysis for use in a university project my group is undertaking. It seems to be greyed out (unavailable) at the moment.

Thanks!

Hi,

I’m also interested in the Harmonic Analysis feature, do you have an update on when will it be available?

In the mean time, can it be enabled for me?

Thanks in advance!

Getting back to you asap @Jose_San_Juan!

Best,

Jousef

Just as a follow up for others that might tread this thread:
Meanwhile the Harmonic Analysis is (since a few months already) enabled to all users.

Best,
Richard