Uploading assemblies

When I save/export my project from my CAD program, the solids forming the assembly are saved in 3 separate .sab/.sat files. I have no influence or control over how (or why) this split is performed.

If I upload these 3 files into a single SimScale project, it sees them as 3 different geometries, and there does not seem to be any way to combine them into a single simulation.

The [CAD Preparation & Upload | Simulation Setup | SimScale](https://documentation for uploading assemblies) suggests zipping them and identifying the filetype when uploading, there are no complaints, but SimScale only sees/displays the contents of the first .sab/.sat file within the .zip file.

What am I doing wrong?

In case this was a limitation associated with .sab/.sat files, I converted them into parasolid files, zipped the 3 together and uploaded that.

Once again, no complaints from uploading the .zip file (once I had identified the contents as .x_t), but once the upload completes, again only the first .x_t file within the zip file is seen/displayed in the project?

A log of zipping the files:

C:\Users\ms20b\Documents\SpaceClaim\Geometry>zip parts.zip *.x_t

adding: part1bodies.x_t (164 bytes security) (deflated 64%)
adding: part2bodies.x_t (164 bytes security) (deflated 71%)
adding: part3bodies.x_t (164 bytes security) (deflated 67%)

Checking they all made it:
C:\Users\ms20b\Documents\SpaceClaim\Geometry>unzip -l parts.zip
Archive: parts.zip
Length Date Time Name

41151  08-10-21 21:13   part1bodies.x_t

205683 08-10-21 21:13 part2bodies.x_t
35358 08-10-21 21:13 part3bodies.x_t

282192 3 files

And a screen cap of uploading the zip:

And a screen cap of the resultant project:

I don’t know what else to try?

Hi,

The assembly upload doc clearly states what file formats are considered “supported” for the assembly upload workflow:

The Parasolid kernel doesn’t have a format specific to assemblies. Parts and assemblies should all be .x_t or x_b.

The issue here is likely in your first paragraph: the CAD tool is exporting the parts separately for some reason, instead of exporting a single file. Some ideas:

• Post your question on a SpaceClaim-specific forum for more insights. Have you already gone through all of the export options? Something is probably off.
  • Try exporting from SpaceClaim in other formats supported by SimScale, such as .step

Cheers

Have you already tried Onshape, which operates with the Parasolid kernel?