Unsuccessful Meshing in CFD Simulation Setup

Hi. My name is Nuv Ahuja, and I’m a Simscale user developing a CFD simulation, and I was having an issue with the mesh generation of my aircraft design. When I started the mesh generation, almost right away, an error message appeared stating that an intersection occurred between an edge and the fuselage. However, when I tried to reference/highlight the edge that was intersecting the fuselage, it didn’t appear on my screen anywhere. Only the fuselage was able to be highlighted or located. I think there must have been an error in the mesher because there was no edge in which was intersecting with the fuselage. Is there any way I could resume the mesh generation? I’ve already tried changing the file format of my CAD model of my aircraft design and also zooming in on the components of the aircraft to see if the edge is intersecting with the fuselage on a smaller level than the scale on the viewer.

Hi @nuvahuja1 ,

Thanks for the description. Assuming that you are talking about the failed mesh in this project, it looks like the issue is with the small feature suppression definition, as the error message hints:

A feature suppression of 10 meters won’t allow any cells with edge length smaller than 10 meters to be generated. So it will be impossible to capture the plane.

On a side note, I do see quite a lot of topology artifacts around the plane. For example, zooming in the red circle from the first image that I posted, we can see some very complex faces (probably due to low resolution on the CAD model):

It would be optimal to clean those up. If it’s not possible, I’d actually recommend using one of the hex-dominant meshing tools, as they are better to deal with low resolution surfaces than the standard meshing tool.

Cheers

1 Like