SimScale CAE Forum

Tracer residence time distribution

I am reading the below blog regarding tracer RTD, and wonder if this in fact can be achieved in simscale?
As described in this blog, to get a tracer RTD, you need to first get a steady state flow field, then inject tracer for a transient simulation and track tracer concentration at outlet of the reactor. Is this process possible in the current version of Simscale?

Thanks,

Hey @zzzddd

First thing I thought about is to add a passive scalar as some sort of tracer into the flow. However I am not sure which fluid model you want to choose. @CFD-SQUAD, in case you want to contribute here and have some experience in these kind of simulations.

Best,

Jousef

Thanks Jousef. Yes, the issue is that tracer injection should start after a steady state flow field has been established. So I wonder how the author of this blog was able to do this using Simscale.

Thanks.

This is a feature that could be really helpful to people working on reactor analysis, environmental dispersion, fire/smoke analysis and so on. If it is not available in the current version, would it be difficult to add it to future version?

Thanks!

Hi @zzzddd!

Feature requests can be put in this section: https://www.simscale.com/forum/c/feedback - thanks!

Best,

Jousef