Suggest about mesh parameters

Hi, I’m trying to simulate external aerodynamics for this missile, but I can’t simulate because the mesh is not good and I can’t fix it. Can anyone suggest me some advice? Thank you.

Hi @Raffreddore,

Thanks for posting your question here on Forum.
I saw that the overall mesh quality was bad, then down below you see some regions that must be improved.

I just enjoy the opportunity to share with you this guide on how to develop a mesh quality study using SimScale, then you can see exactly where to improve your mesh in therms of surfaces, regions, and so on.

As suggestion to figure it out, please consider to create a sphere region refinement with Max edge length 0.01 and with the coordinates as follows:

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 10.43.19

Also run this new mesh with the mesh refinement in 6 in therms of Fineness, it must be enough for a decent mesh quality. Please do that and then let me know if it works for you :slight_smile:

Best,

Hi, thank you very much for your help.
The adjustment doesn’t work, I have this two errors:
Error
Error1

Now I’m trying to refine the other zone with high volume ratio.

I put another refinement sphere where are the finset, but I have the same two errors and the volume ratio doesn’t go down.

Hi again @Raffreddore,

I created a project with the basic refinement that I have mentioned, and it is working well. I suggest you to copy my project down below and then try to refine as much as you want. Just have fun! :slight_smile:

Best,

Ok, the problems were my two cartesian box, but even with your projects when I start a simulation there is the error of maximum number of iterations. Aspect ratio parameters are too high, I’ve tried again with two spheres for the finsets, where the problems are, but I can’t manage the aspect ratio. Do you have any tips for that?
And thank you again.

Hi again @Raffreddore,

It is running well here. Are you sure about the velocity inlet value? it is almost 5940 km/h :sweat_smile:
The compressible solver runs well between Mach 0.3 and 0.8. So just in order to show you the effect of your inlet value I did a setup with the physical value affordable for compressible type. Please take a look at the Simulation Run 2 down below and feel free to reach out in case of any other questions.

Best,

Oh I need that velocity, it’s an hypersonic missile. Anyone of the solver can manage Supersonic or hypersonic missile?

Hi @Raffreddore,

You can achieve Mach 2 or 3 using Subsonic solver (despite of the name), but it is available just in professional accounts. So please feel free to take a look at our plans and reach out in case of any other questions.

Best,