Scaling a geometry

Hi,

I have a problem when trying to scale a geometry that seems to be 10 times smaller than what it should.
I have tried the scalling parameter, but fails and it suggests me to contact support.

Any ideas?

Cheers

@aguerrero: your nice model is composed with faces which seems be too small. Scaling up fails with the message about six only, but in my opinion you have much moreā€¦

I suggest to do the following:

Scale up your car in your CAD program
Import it and try to make an enclosure.
Create Standard mesh, reducing fine details in ā€˜Advanced settingā€™ > ā€˜small features suppressionā€™.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like

Adding to what @Retsam already nicely pointed out:

I tried to perform the enclosure operation on the non-scaled model, with no success. The model still needs some cleanup:

• Merging all bodies into one
  • Deleting small faces

Also, creating the enclosure in CAD might also help here if it still gives problems after cleaning the model.

Yes, it would help: you should mesh it with ā€˜Small feature suppressionā€™. It should be simpler compared to deleting small faces and / or merging all bodies.

1 Like

Hi,
thanks for the reply. Actually I did scale it with Soliworks and reuploaded but suddently says that the CAD contains too many failsā€¦ I donā€™t understand why as it is only a scaled version.

What kind of operations to clean the model do you suggest?
Is it possible to create an enclosure in SolidWorks?

Cheers

You create a simulation domain as a volume in your CAD and by boolean operation remove all car solids from that volume. That way you will import only one solid (one volume) and import it to SimScale.

Doesnā€™t seem to work very goodā€¦ Would it be too much to ask if you could do that and send me the enclosure CAD?
I am facing so many difficulties.

Cheers

@aguerrero: I suggest the following approach:

• Make a simpler model in your CAD first, with few faces (or look into simple projects others did in SimScale).
  • Make an enclosure in your CAD as well and (as described) remove the model volume from the
    enclosure.
  • Import that enclosere in SimScale, mesh it and try a simulation.
  • After few iterations you will master your CAD program and understand meshing and simulation possibilities.

Remembrer, that you are here to learn and me making the effort in your place will not achieve that target.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like