RNG k-epsilon

Hi there,
I am new to CFD modelling and wish to use this as part of a university project.
If possible could someone inform me if the following research paper can be replicated in Sim Scale.
“Comparative Study of Aerodynamic Coefficients of Prismatic and Twisted Tall Buildings with various Cross Sections using CFD”

If so could you please provide some advice on how this can be achieved,

Hi!

Do you have a link to the paper? What are the aspects of the study that are most relevant to include in your model?

Hi there, please see the below link. I wish to replicate the model as best as possible using sim scale.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338594966_Comparison_of_Aerodynamic_Loads_on_Prismatic_and_Twisted_Tall_Buildings_Using_Computational_Fluid_Dynamics

Hi again,

I think that this study can be reproduced in SimScale. The mesh will be different and the turbulence model might also be slightly different as this was run using other solvers, but anyway the results should be comparable if done properly.

Brilliant! As a beginner is there anything i need to pay close attention to?

Lastly how would the RNG k-e method be applied here as it is not a predefined turbulence model?

As a beginner I would suggest you to have a look at our tutorials on external aerodynamics and maybe some validation cases:

Try to understand the setups and how to replicate them for your model.

About the RNG k-e model, it is not available in the platform. Our k-e is the standard implementation. It should give comparable results, otherwise you can also test our other available turbulence models.

I will be sure to give them a try, thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated

1 Like

The RNG k-epsilon was (or is?) deemed appropriate for swirling flows. However, nowadays, the industrial standard for RANS is the SST-k-omega. I suggest you:

1. To perform the simulation in SimScale using the k-epsilon and k-omega SST models.
  2. If this is a long project (Masters), do the implementation I commented above, and download the case for OpenFOAM. In OpenFOAM you can change the turbulence model to RNG k-epsilon. Be warned that OpenFOAM has a much slower learning curve. Knowledge of CFD theory should be required for both cases.
2 Likes