Residuals and Domain values in Radiation

*I try to find the effect of a large hot cylinder on a small cylinder placed parallelly at a distance, through radiation and Natural convection.

*I have ran the simulation with all the settings, but The residuals are saturating above 1e-3 and the domain values of couple of variables is fluctuating (I have tried making the mesh finer but it is of no use). PFA the snips below:

Kindly help @tsite

1 Like

Hey there! Have you performed a mesh sensitivity study? I expect a finer mesh could deliver much better results. You can check this page as a start: How to Check and Improve Mesh Quality | SimScale
Also keep in mind that with the Conjugate heat transfer v2 , you are performing a compressible analysis.

Let me know how a finer mesh performs.

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi, I have used CHT v1 also. The snips attached are of that only. I have used a fineness of 7 in meshing. On Further increasing the fineness the meshing fails due to lack of memory,

Regards,
Srikar.

Hi @tsite , I have ran a new simulation “Run 4” with finer mesh, but the results are same. I could not not decrease the non-orthogonality of the mesh. Kindly help.

Regards,
Srikar.

Hi,

The non orthogonality of the mesh is already quite low (maximum 63~). I find the flow domain to be very small though. What is the scenario that we have here, in real life?

Given the natural convection inlet/outlet boundary conditions, this would represent an “open area”, in which case the flow region definitely needs to be extended. At the minimum, I’d suggest the flow domain size from this tutorial.

1 Like