Problems with Background meshes in CFD

Im currently working on CFD analysis of a train convoy. Im finding that, in each model I work on, I find the background mesh to have an irregular surface and thus, provide unsuable results. Here you can find the project: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7577433062986957053&mi=spec%3A6bb3eee6-6a4b-4595-be7e-8128045b0365%2Cservice%3AMESHING%2Cstrategy%3A20&sh=19

I do not know how to improve on such an issue. Other meshing parameters have been decided using similar projects as reference but I have not done an in depth CAD analysis of the model. Does anyone know steps I can take to improve on such an issue?

Hi @lopescontreras ,

Thanks for using our forum. I see that your mesh is pretty good in most of the regions, except from some sharp corners where the mesh is not conformal.

I would recommend trying the following to mitigate these artefacts:

• Using a constant surface refinement with all the affected surfaces selected

• Applying feature refinement with similar mesh edge length as the neighbouring cells

Here is a short tutorial on Hex-parametric mesh on a front wing where the edges are captured better. Please review and let me know if you were able to replicate it in your project.

With Kind Regards,
Ajit

1 Like