Porous Media with a Constant Heat Flux?

Hey Sims,

I am trying to make a very simplified model of a natural draft cooling tower. I need to create a region of porous media that is also a constant heat source, heating the air to create a natural circulation in the tower. I have found the option for creating a porous media, but I have the following problems:

1. Is it possible to assign the porous media to a volume from the original CAD file? Air will flow inside and outside of the cooling tower, so I need a more exact volume than a geometric entity like a cartesian box or sphere.

2. How does one add a heat source, either to the porous media volume or in general?

Here is my project: SimScale

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

• Swingo

Hey @swingo!

Sounds like a very interesting application you are working on. I have already contacted my colleague who might give you more information about your project and if we can work around it in some ways.

All the best!

Jousef

Hey @jousefm!

Thank you for the reply and the offer to help! I got the idea originally through this discussion on cfd-online about modelling a cooling tower in OpenFoam:

Is there a way to write OpenFoam code directly into SimScale? If so, I might be able to define the porous media with a heat source.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,
Swingo

Hi @swingo and thanks for the link!

Unfortunately we do not offer the feature you need at the moment but you can work with Heat Transfer if that suits your application as a first step.

Regarding your question for OpenFOAM it is not possible to implement own code into the platform. If you have any specific wishes please post your query in the Vote For Features section. I think that there are some other users encountering the same issues and have the same request. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best!

Jousef