Platform Update 07/2018

SimScalers,

today, an improved integrated post-processor has been released, providing faster and more interactive mechanisms for visualization and interrogation of simulation results. Find a short overview in the first video and a couple of deep dives in some of the new functionality in the videos after

Faster Loading & Interaction

The new online post-processor improves performance over the old post processor, including speed to load, visualize and manipulate the data. The new experience is matching the robustness level of a desktop post-processing software with well equipped hardware.This is particularly important for our users, ensuring that both quick sanity checks on the setup and in depth post-processing can be done with as much ease as possible.

Probe results using direct selection

When inspecting results, it is often desirable to simply query the value of a field at a certain location, this is now possible in the new post processor by simply clicking on a surface location in which you desire the result. This can be used to ensure that a more complete understanding of the field is gained without having to invest time into creating complicated visualizations, and is useful in many applications including cuts through a heat source to understand surrounding temperatures, or surface representation of a building in wind load, gaining an understanding into surface pressures.

Iso-volumes and Iso-Surfaces

Iso-volumes and Iso surfaces are good for visualizing a 3D object based upon a fields scalar value. This is done by either selecting a value to create an iso-surface upon, or a range of values to create an iso-volume. This can be used extensively to visualize many applications including thermal plumes above a heat source using temperature, or wing tip vortex using vorticity.

Animate Results

Animations are great tools to visualize both transient datasets and steady state data sets a like. The animation feature allows the user to visualize a transient data set by choosing a start and end time, and resolution of the animation and animating with the current visualized state. It also allows the user to visualize streamlines over time for steady state results.

Improved Visualization Options

The new post processor also has some enhancements to colour maps, including the option to change between several different colour schemes and the ability to choose how many colour levels are seen. This will help in viewing multiple fields in the same visualization, which might have once been hard to display, for example, a surface pressure visualization can be presented using the traditional rainbow scheme, whilst streamlines coloured by velocity can be visualized using the thermal scheme, giving a clearer understanding of the results without confusion.

7 Likes

Short addition: The new post-processor does not yet provide all features of the classic one does. Until it’s there, you can load all results still in the classic post-processor. To do so make a right click on the “Solution Fields” tree item (1) and then click “Use classic post-processor” (2). This will automatically load the classic post-processor. To switch back again, repeat the same workflow (“Use new post-processor” will appear as an option).

2 Likes

Is it possible to view FEA results with a deformed shape in the same way that the “warp by vector” filter worked in the old post processor?

1 Like

Hi Ben (@BenLewis),

yes, that’s possible but with a slightly different workflow - check out this video:

The tricky part is that displacement shows up both under “SCL” and “DIS” while the “Warp by vector” feature is only under “DIS”. This workflow will be made simpler in one of the next releases!

Best,

David

2 Likes

Need more videos like this and a topic searchable video index!!!

The video is magnitudes easier to understand and faster to create than topics or tutorials to explain the nuances of using the Workbenches finer features…

1 Like

Hi @dheiny,

I think you really need to come out with some supporting webinars on the new post-processor. For me it is not intuitive at all. What the terms mean? How do they interact (SCL, VEC, DIS)? How can I easily see what is applied.

Even your video demo above is confusing. You should not be able to animate what appears to be a static displacement as a mode shape (+/- displacement), it should only be 0/+ displacement.

I love the direction of the new post-processor and its speed, I just the workflow needs to be simplified.

Thanks!
Christopher

1 Like

in the new platform how can i use filters of transform and reflect? how can i upload a STL for transparent postprocess?

Hey Christopher (@cjquijano),

definitely agreed on the workflow simplifications that will follow!

We did some preliminary video tutorials over here:

Best,

David

2 Likes

Hi @camilomati,

transform and reflect/mirror operations are currently not yet supported in the new Post-Processor. Because of the fact that the new one does not yet have all features of the classic one, you can still load all results in the classic online post-processor (see post above).

You can make surfaces present in the result transparent like this:

This was just the initial release of the new Post-processor, so more functionality will be added over the next releases!

Best,

David