Need help understanding meshing refinements

I used a cylindrical region refinement in my mesh along with boundary layer and feature refinement. The intention is to produce more detailed mesh to get rid of some strange wing surface wall shear pattern from a previous run using a simpler mesh with only feature and boundary layer refinements (I may need to post a new thread about that strange pattern). The end result of the mesh is difficult to make sense of:

I’ve circled the parts that I need help with. What made these ‘bulging’ parts below and above the fuselage denser than the rest? Why is the center part of the leading edge of the vertical fin ‘de-featured’ that bad, but the rest of the fin reasonably meshed?

link to my project workbench project

1 Like

Hi @Sanders
I have gone through your mesh setting and those are very coarse for this kind of CFD simulation, kindly follow the meshing procedure i have adopted for similar project.

It will help you alot.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks. Not sure why but I kept getting signed out of the forum and unable to access your project. I’ll try to contact support.

You’re right I used very little refinement because I needed quick results to learn different features of the software. I was asking particularly why those dense regions are created, so that I know how to use the different refinement strategies.

Hi @Sanders
I think it might be due to the feature refinement setting.

For more information go through the following link.

Regards

4 Likes