Multiphase: waves in a chanel

Hi, have you already tried implementing the suggestions from the error message? It is suggesting to increase the fineness in the regions with a lot of details.

Some ideas:

• What happens if you remove the rotating zone from the CAD model? Does the geometry mesh fine with the current settings?
  • I noticed there is a very tiny little gap (around 5e-5 meters) between the MRF rotating zone and the flow region external faces:

Have you already tried to make the rotating zone a little larger than the flow region? What happens in this case?

Ricardo, Thanks. The gap is produced by an inherent problem of Cad i am using, Tinkercad. I´m gone try to increase the gap to 2 cm.
I did the others suggestion of fail message.

Ricardo, my intention with the rotating zone is to put a rotor to generate waves which travel through the channel. The result show that rotor stand still no matter the time while rotating zone spin in desired way as is shown in the picture.

Can you please help me with this? URL is https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4148381304401920262&rru=792c9f45-748b-4385-b201-6047d5f36bbe&ci=1b74de7a-fc39-43aa-a2d8-434dd2422f27&ct=SOLUTION_FIELD&mt=SIMULATION_RESULT

Hi,

MRF rotating zones will remain static in the results, but you will be able to see the fluid rotating due to their motion.

Only AMI rotating zones will actually rotate. For more notes, please see: Rotating Zones | Advanced Concepts | SimScale

Cheers

Ricardo, many thanks again. The run you saw only cover 0.6 s so i couldn’t see the all landscape. I made the mesh coarser to reduce execution time and obtained a 3.6 s total time, enough for the objective. New run 2 have URL https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4148381304401920262&rru=95c516b2-b361-4c26-9917-15663664d736&ci=8669a1e6-37ce-46bf-930e-5d1b704f616c&ct=SOLUTION_FIELD&mt=SIMULATION_RESULT
Thanks to this now i see waves translating along channel but with a very small high, the reason i didn’t notice them in the previous run 1. As i told you the function of the rotor is no more than generate waves and now i go to try to another method to obtain higher waves to allow me seing clearer result i am looking for.
If you have any good suggestion us usual please lend me know.
Regards

Hey, it should also be possible to generate waves with the initialization of phase fraction (e.g. this project).

Have you already tested this approach?

Hi Ricardo, thanks for your suggestion. I studied previously the case you link and used it in many simulations you can see in my workbench under the names Canaleta. The difference now is i need a periodic waves that contains positives and negatives highs.
I´m trying to get this with a rotor and i think need a larger one to produce higher waves which show the effects i am looking for. If you have another way to get it please led me know. Regards

Perhaps a time-dependent velocity inlet on a small patch around the interface level? I’ve never tried to generate periodic waves like this, so it might take some tests.

Suggestion: start off with a very simple geometry to test.

Hi Ricardo. I tried two methods, one following your suggestion and the other using a rotor. The water inlet and outlet windows were placed at the bottom of the channel to produce a strong upwelling at the end of the channel and a gentle one in the rest of the canal, with result in picture:

With the rotor I obtained a similar good result:

I´m going to continue with windows inlet-outlet because use of resources is to much less than the rotor method while needs rotating zones. Thank you very much.

1 Like