Modelling piezo ceramic actuator?

I want to model a piezo actuator; or at least the effects its anisotropic displacement has upon parts around it.

Ostensibly, the piezo applies a force to another part and I could model that force rather than the piezo itself.

The problem is, when the piezo expands in one dimension, it contracts in another, so the point where the force is applied to the other part moves (very slightly). Can I model that?

Eventually, I’d like to simulate the (ultrasonic) oscillations of the piezo and see the effects of that on other parts?

I’m floundering here, wondering what of this can be done? And how?

Hi,

The algorithm should take care of the “expanding in one direction” while “contracting in another”. This behavior varies with the Poisson’s ratio that is defined under materials.

On the first question, about not having the piezoelectric material in the simulation and modeling its forces with a boundary condition: At a first glance, it would be difficult to do that. The force would have to be applied to the same patch throughout the entire simulation, so there is no way to make that area change dynamically. You could change the magnitude of the force (e.g. with table or formula input), but not the area.

Perhaps the @fea_squad have more recommendations/ideas!

Cheers

Yes. But with piezo, the force involved is generated internally by the application of an electric field. I don’t see how to model that?