Meshing as a Begineer

I am currently trying to generate a mesh around a NACA0012 airfoil using Simscale. I have an enclosure built around my airfoil with a refinement region and surface refinement. Additionally I had inflation set on the airfoil which I removed due to thinking it may have been causing the lengthy meshing process. I havent been able to produce a mesh for it - always stops at 50%. I have attached the link below of the project.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Immediately thought about @DaleKramer and @Retsam here :wink: Both have already performed incredible mesh studies and can probably help you out with that one! Andrzej, want to give it a spin with an unstructured mesh? :wink:

Cheers!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @ptreacy: Currently your volume (Enclosure) for internal HEX mesh is wrong. You need that volume to have a hole (airfoil removed) across. Just left the air in the domain, airfoil removed.

So if your airfoil has 25 cm span, enclosure should be <= 25 cm span: you should be able to see that hole in the domain. If it is not the case, you would be unable to generate correct mesh.

Personały, I create my simulation domain in CAD program (it is OnShape in my case), and it does not need to be a hexagonal shape. Here is the example of very small domain, with NACA0012 AoA defined in geometry:

Tell me how it works when ready,

Cheers,

Retsam

1 Like

Hi Retsam,

Thank you for replying. I was using ANSYS meshing before this and usually use the boolean command to remove the airfoil from the domain, wasnt exactly sure how it worked with SIMSCALE. It’s working now so thank you!

Pippa

I have fixed the enclosure but I am still unable to mesh a simple mesh. Any more guidance as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks

When generating Mesh Clip you will discover mesh defects and they look nasty:

Perhaps you should try first to use ‘Automatic BL’ and do not define them manually, but I cannot find an explanation of your mesh distortion (swiss cheese). I would also start by using moderate or coarse mesh resolution first. Log files report that your own BL definition is useless (15 BLs intended):

patch           faces    layers   overall thickness
                                  [m]       [%]
-----           -----    ------   ---       ---
B2_TE5_B2_TE121 319198   0.155    0.000214  1.84    

For simulation itself, you need both big size of the domain to be ‘Slip Walls’. In Simulation Control please use ‘Potential Foam initialisation’.

Hi Retsam,

How did you know that B2_TE5_B2_TE121 corresponded to the inflation boundary layer I had assigned?

I have implemented what you suggested and am waiting for it to run.

Thank you for all the help,
Pippa

I found it in the log file… Near the log end you will have statistics about BLs.