Mesh quality problem F1 2022

Hello good mornig for everyone.

I am a mechanical engineering student and I am doing a TFG on the aerodynamics between the 2021 and 2022 F1 cars. It is my first time that I am going to do a CFD analysis and everything related.

The problem I have with my project is that when generating the mesh, the quality of the mesh is very low and I don’t know how to solve this error. I have made the configuration that I have in my project following the Formula SAE tutorial.

Link proyect: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=7409876689395673373&mi=spec%3Add6097e3-ab7d-4c3b-be37-28414ef383f7%2Cservice%3ASIMULATION%2Cstrategy%3A3

Hey there, thanks for using the forum!

This article should be helpful to you:

2 Likes

Hi dbravos22,

I was surprised when I looked at the model with the regional and surface refinements and a mesh count of over 10million cells and the result of 0.001 for the mesh score.

I don’t know if you are aware of the mesh clip tool, it gives me a feel for the quality of the mesh, at times it can take a minute to load the result.

The reference provided by ggiraldof is good. I’d be interested to hear what your final solution was.

1 Like

Hey Chuck, what surprised you? That the mesh has many cells and has low quality? The first thing I will do is clean the CAD model

Yes, I was a little surprised at the low quality that it reported on the mesh, given you had a largish number of cells, but I’m relatively new to simulations.

Look forward to seeing some results of your Simulation shortly :slight_smile:

Oh there’s is a lot of F1 simulation in the public projects and obviously the step by step tutorials on F1 / Car simulations by Simscale, so you should have plenty of guidance material available. A filter on F1 & favourites in the public projects should bring up a range of working models.

To model the whole F1 with and obtain meaningful results you will need many grid elements and correct B.L approaches to near-wall elements. Why not focus on a specific part of the F1 (i.e: Front wing?). I

1 Like

Hi, because from the beginning I decided with my tutor to design and analyze the whole car and compare it with F1 2021.I know that it is a lot and that there will be errors, but we analyze it in broad strokes

Hello everyone, could someone take a look at the new simulation I’ve done and tell me how it is.It’s the “incomprehensible 2”. Thanks.