Mesh error

Dear Support,

I have issues with generating the mesh. My aim is to simulate the flow around the front wing therefore I have used the same parameters as in FSAE workshop, but I got an error. Meshing log does not display so I am not able to see what is wrong. Would you be so kind and investigate what is wrong with my project? The problem occurs in all sub projects (Front_Wing, FW_Course, Full_Solid).

Here is the link:

Best regards,
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

First thing that comes into my mind is splitting your geometry - the only thing you did so far is the scaling part which is nice.

All the best!

Jousef

Hi @Zaapex,

Yup I concur with Jousef! Try Surface Splitting first and see if that works.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like

I tried with Surface Splitting but gives an error, so should I change the angle of splitting?

Best regards
Zaapex

Sorry for the late response @Zaapex!

Which format does the model have? Is it STL because I cannot download your model. Would be interesting to know - could be one of the error sources. If it is STL I will try to figure out how we can split your model to make this work.

Best,

Jousef

Yes it is STL format. Why would you like to split surface anyway?

Best regards
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

This sometimes fixes the issue with the meshing error. @Get_Barried & @yosukegb4, any advices from your side?

Best,

Jousef

Hi @Zaapex,

I’ve haven’t had much success with STL files, however with that being said, is it possible to convert the file to another format? STL files are notoriously hard to work with due to the nature of the data being triangular surfaces rather than an actual solid.

If you need to help working on the STL file or even converting do let me know.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like

Hello,

I uploaded Solidworks, STL and IGES files.

Thank you for support, I am really grateful for that.

Best regards
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

Just a small hint from my side: Make sure that there are no overlapping surfaces inside your geometry. A clean geometry is everything :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

Ok I have cleaned the geometry and uploaded it again. It is much better and even in Geometry Event Log it says that the only problem is Number of small faces: 1(SW geometry). But still there is a problem when I want to run meshing process (FW), so could you inspect my project once more, I would be really grateful.

All best,
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex,

You have a small geometrical anomaly that is causing the “number of small faces” report. Cleaning that up should solve it. Refer to the pictures below.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

2 Likes

Hello,

I have made some improvements, but still no success. What do you think what is wrong when meshing process won’t even start? In my case when I click start operation it lasts for about 30 seconds and then it is over. What is usually the reason?

Best regards,
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex,

Its just a simple format issue. Refer to my copy of your project here. I used your “SW” geometry which was perfectly fine and it has meshed well. You can use that for your simulations. Keep in mind that preferably STEP or IGES are better formats to use as with what I’ve experienced so try to keep to those. Your “SW” geometry is a solidworks part I believe so that is also alright and has meshed well as mentioned earlier.

Good luck for your simulations.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Thank you. So next time I would rather use IGES or STEP instead of STL. I have one more question. Isn’t it a little bit inconvenient to click all the faces/solids. In stl you usually have just few of them.

Best regards
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

That is not that much of a problem if you use all the capabilities the platform has like the context menu inside the workbench. A nice video that explains the useful feature of the box selection:

If you have any additional thoughts and/or ideas feel free to share them in the Feedback or the Vote For Features section of the forum.

Thanks a lot and happy SimScaling!

Jousef

1 Like

This is really helpful :slight_smile: .

I have still some questions. In simulation and than in result control I want to set Forces and Moments of the wing., but what I have to write under center of rotation? Do I need to go to the CAD system and see where the center of mass is?

Best regards,
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

Was in university all day long so will answer you at home :slight_smile: but I saw that you already put your question inside the forum :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Take your time. Still I have some issues with simulation. Maybe mesh is not good enough?

Best,
Zaapex

Hi @Zaapex!

Answered you in this post :slight_smile: When I was answering with my phone I thought that this is a private message, whatever :smiley:

All the best!

Jousef