Medical device project: Trocar insertion and removal force

I’m interested in simulating the insertion and removal of a trocar through the abdomen, as in the case of laparoscopic surgery. The trocar sleeves are typically ribbed to improve the grip on the abdominal wall. The goal is to determine the max. insertion and removal force.

I already have bench test results obtained inserting several trocars through a silicone rubber pad (after making a small incision) and measuring the force vs. displacement with a tensile machine. Now, the useful part would be to compare these results with a simulation in order to study the effects of different ribs geometry on the insertion and removal force.

Hopefully, my explanation is clear enough. Is it currently possible to run such a simulation in SimScale?

Best regards,
Davide

Hi Davide, if I understand correctly you want to perform a structural analysis, where the tool is in contact and slide within the rubber, as a result of applied force?

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia, that’s basically right.

I’ve attached an animation to help clarify. I’m only interested in the interaction between the red portion and the silicone pad (yellow hole). In reality, the trocar would pierce through a small shallow incision in the material. But for the purposes of simulation, I can consider having a thru hole in the silicone pad.

1 Like

Hi there, this interaction can be modeled using our FEA solver.
Check our structural mechanics tutorials here: SimScale Tutorials and User Guides | Cloud-Based CAE | SimScale

Best regards,
Fillia