Issue with assigning mesh as the domain

Hi Retsam, I am trying to setup a simulation similar to your example, but for some reason it is not working. The propeller inside the rotating region (which is negative geometry) is not being meshed. Do you have any insights?
Here is the link to one of my setups - I have been trying different setups with small variations to see what happens: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=2591225129477023134&mi=spec%3A29848356-7db5-4d95-8729-f14339973ac8%2Cservice%3AMESHING%2Cstrategy%3A47&sh=24

Appreciate any help!

Hi @joshuaxdmb: it looks like you solved already the meshing problem in simulation ‘Incompressible 2’. Please, before running simulation, set ‘Potential foam initialization’ on in Simulation control.

Mesh could be better, as for the moment BL are not crated. But start by running a simulation is a simple setup and tune it later on.

Take care,

Retsam

It creates the mesh when I choose multiregion mesh, which is different from your setup. I think it is creating overlapping meshes, and the boundary layer does not seem to be created. Any insights?

I am also curious, does the name of the parts matter? Does the fact that I am linking directly to Onshape instead of uploading an STL matter, in your experience?

Thanks for the help!
-Joshua

Hi @joshuaxdmb,

Naming convention does matter: you need to use names which make sense. Now you have 3 geometries and two of them have the same name. This is not ‘tidy’ and will not sort it for you.

Please use the geometry where you have only two volumes: Geometry with fluid volume to simulate and MRF zone (a cylinder).

Current simulation fails because you have three volumes, propeller being a separate part. Please read again explanations in my project.

OnShape is a perfect source for directly importing geometries into SimScale. If I did it in STL in the past, it is not relevant at all.

Also, if you want to create a BL, you should calculate y+ value being > 40 for a given flow (use y+ calculators) and use Wall function.

I suggest you start all over again, using automatic meshing with BL. This should help you top run first simulations.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like