Interfacial area

How can I use Simscale to calculate the interfacial area between two immiscible fluids?

Hi,
To calculate the interfacial area between two immiscible fluids in SimScale, you can use the Volume of Fluid (VOF) method. The VOF method is a numerical technique that represents the interface between two fluids as a level set function. The level set function is a scalar field that varies between 0 and 1, where 0 represents the pure fluid and 1 represents the other fluid.
You can read more about it here

Thank you for getting back to me. Is there any way the interfacial area can be calculated (e.g., per m^2) rather than just visualised?

Hello @dpym!

Personally, I have never performed such computations; however, there are a few methodologies given in the literature. For instance, one approach involves geometrical computation by splitting the cells located near the interface area given in this article. You might need third-party post-processing software, such as Paraview, which was also utilized in the reference paper.

I hope this information proves helpful, and I believe further investigation may yield simpler methodologies.

Thanks!
Kaan

1 Like