Importing an stl file with right dimensions

I have exported a stl file of a car body designed in inches out of Fusion 360 and imported it into SimScale (paying attention to telling the GUI the import stl is inches). When I set up an external flow volume the dimensions (which is also told is inches) of the box is larger by 20x of the real values for the car model. I just like to know what is going on. Thank you.

Hi @cplatt ,

So firstly, the most likely cause here is the export process, if you export your STL from fusion, and re-import it into fusion is the unit/scale correct?

Secondly, the STL file is basically never the recommended file format for SimScale (LBM/PWC being the exception) so you would be better off using, step, or IGES for fusion 360, I got this by comparing the export formats to our recommended formats here.

Hope this helps,
Darren

Adding to what @dlynch said above, we also support the native Autodesk Inventor (.iam, *.ipt) file formats, which Fusion360 can export. For complex assemblies, you can zip up all the files and follow the steps in this article on CAD Assembly Uploads.