SimScale CAE Forum

🙏 Implement the free version of cfMesh as an option alongside snappyHexMesh

@pfernando suggested meshing a model with cfmesh .

He has tried it a few times and the prism cells look much better with just a fraction of the setup complexity.

• I would like to see cfMesh as part of our meshing arsenal.
  • I do not think I would use this feature.

0 voters

Layering for yPlus of less than 1

Just installing cfMesh now and noticed it’s GPL. This could be whey they chose snappyHexMesh instead.

How would GPL licence make it undesirable as an option?

Well I guess because it’s not being distributed then it probably isn’t an issue - beauty of web services. Former software startup guy PTSD… GPL is a no-no for proprietary stacks.

@jhartung and @DaleKramer

I am trying to install cfMesh. I do not have an installation of OpenFOAM but I’m guessing I should install one of the later versions of OpenFOAM which comes with cfMesh? Is this correct?

Yup, my Company’s Legal has been having issues with GPL licenses recently…

From what I could tell, the appropriate distribution of OpenFOAM ships with cfMesh. I was trying to use it on a Windows machine and they use the weird Linux shell available there. I found I was unable to navigate a directory system from that shell and troubleshot it for a while. Not being excited about a command-line only UI, I redoubled efforts on snappy. If you haven’t tried following @DaleKramer’s excellent advice in my recent thread, I’d suggest you take a moment to try it. Worked wonderfully.

I think I did follow Dale’s golden rules before… Was shooting for Y+=1 mesh but haven’t really tried higher Y+ (meaning I would need to resize the “outer meshes” to be coarser)

Anyway, managed to get OpenFOAM building on my Ubuntu. @DaleKramer, is the sourceforge readme and tutorial all there is for how to run cfMesh?

Sorry, but I personally have not tried cfMesh, perhaps @pfernando might help here too.

I have had good luck with CygWin64 on windows for Linux in an unrelated project, who knows it might work better for you.

@jhartung: if you have Linux command prompt, you can use ‘tree’ command to see structure of folder(s). If command tree is not present, you can install it with “apt install tree” (on Ubuntu).
User friendly UI, but running on command line in Linux is ‘mc’ program (this is Norton Commander like). If not present install it with apt install mc (again, just an Ubuntu example).