šŸ™ Implement the free version of cfMesh as an option alongside snappyHexMesh

@pfernando suggested meshing a model with cfmesh .

He has tried it a few times and the prism cells look much better with just a fraction of the setup complexity.

• I would like to see cfMesh as part of our meshing arsenal.
  • I do not think I would use this feature.

0 voters

2 Likes

Just installing cfMesh now and noticed itā€™s GPL. This could be whey they chose snappyHexMesh instead.

How would GPL licence make it undesirable as an option?

Well I guess because itā€™s not being distributed then it probably isnā€™t an issue - beauty of web services. Former software startup guy PTSDā€¦ GPL is a no-no for proprietary stacks.

@jhartung and @DaleKramer

I am trying to install cfMesh. I do not have an installation of OpenFOAM but Iā€™m guessing I should install one of the later versions of OpenFOAM which comes with cfMesh? Is this correct?

Yup, my Companyā€™s Legal has been having issues with GPL licenses recentlyā€¦

From what I could tell, the appropriate distribution of OpenFOAM ships with cfMesh. I was trying to use it on a Windows machine and they use the weird Linux shell available there. I found I was unable to navigate a directory system from that shell and troubleshot it for a while. Not being excited about a command-line only UI, I redoubled efforts on snappy. If you havenā€™t tried following @DaleKramerā€™s excellent advice in my recent thread, Iā€™d suggest you take a moment to try it. Worked wonderfully.

I think I did follow Daleā€™s golden rules beforeā€¦ Was shooting for Y+=1 mesh but havenā€™t really tried higher Y+ (meaning I would need to resize the ā€œouter meshesā€ to be coarser)

Anyway, managed to get OpenFOAM building on my Ubuntu. @DaleKramer, is the sourceforge readme and tutorial all there is for how to run cfMesh?

Sorry, but I personally have not tried cfMesh, perhaps @pfernando might help here too.

I have had good luck with CygWin64 on windows for Linux in an unrelated project, who knows it might work better for you.

@jhartung: if you have Linux command prompt, you can use ā€˜treeā€™ command to see structure of folder(s). If command tree is not present, you can install it with ā€œapt install treeā€ (on Ubuntu).
User friendly UI, but running on command line in Linux is ā€˜mcā€™ program (this is Norton Commander like). If not present install it with apt install mc (again, just an Ubuntu example).

1 Like