Hydrofoil NACA Section 2212

Hi All,

I am new to CFD & simsale. In ordered to compare my Simesacle results with Manual calculation results, I decided to make a simple project for a Hydrofoil NACA section that is moving in seawater and then make Lift force calculation manually and compare results.

The mesh is generated using “Hex Dominant Automatic wind tunnel”
Material: Seawater
Boundary conditions
Inlet: Velocity Fixed Value = -4m/s
Outlet: Pressure Fixed Value
Sides /Top / Bottom : Velocity Slip
Naca Section Body: Wall no-slip

SimScale Force results (Lift Force in Z axis Direction) = 22800 N

Doing manual calculation using below values
NACA Section: 2212
(A) projected area = 5m2
Seawater Density = 1025
(V) speed 4m/s
angle of attack = 6 degree
(Cl) Lift coefficient @ 6 degree attack angle = 1 (approximately )

Lift Force = 0.5 * Density * (V^2)A Cl = 41000 N

Manual calculation results are almost double sim-scale results, How that can be?

my project Link:

Hi @Hesham_Reda!

It seems that your domain (bounding box) is still too small and you did not use any inflation for your boundary layer. I would furthermore propose to use the parametric mesh option which gives you more options to adapt the mesh.

Once that is fixed try another run and let me know how the results vary.

Useful resources:

Tagging my colleagues @Get_Barried, @vgon_alves & @Anware here who might give you some additional tips.

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @Hesham_Reda,

What Jousef mentioned is correct and applying the changes he specified will improve your results.

Also is there a need to perform a transient simulation? I don’t see the need to perform one and a steady-state simulation will allow you to generate results more quickly and for a lower computational cost.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

2 Likes

Thank You Gents,

it looks like may manual calculation was wrong. according to below experiment investigation the Lift Cof. = 0.6. @ 6 degree angle of attack .

please check below link and confirm ( Page 23)

Hi @Hesham_Reda!

Assuming the document is right (which is very much the case I guess) - do you obtain the same results?

Best,

Jousef