HEPA Filter - Flow Simulation - is it possible?

Hey guys!

First of all, what a great software! I was able to redeem my Educational License and I am loving it!

I got a question: is it possible to simulate through SimScale an airflow through a pleated air filter (HEPA filter) and filter using streamlines to represent the velocity vectors after filter?

I couldn’t find similar projects on public, that’s why I am asking here.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
Thank you for posting on the forum! Sounds like an interesting project :slight_smile:
Do you perhaps have a CAD model already ready? Or perhaps a project link that you can share?

Thank you for the answer @bbhagat98.

I was waiting for the confirmation if it is or not available on SimScale to start preparing the CAD model, so no.

For this case, I guess that the filter paper permeability should be considered, but I do not know how in SimScale.

Do you know if its possible?

I am not exactly sure what you wish to investigate with your simulaton but it should be possible with SimScale!
You can create a very fine mesh on your model, though this might be computational expensive. You can also import a 2-D mesh directly in SimScale and then run your simulation.
Another option is Porous Media. You can use it in cases of a medium or a material that has voids or pores or is filled with solid particles which let fluid pass through.
You can read about it here Porosity & Porous Media | Advanced Concepts | SimScale