Filling the surface

Hi there.
I have a problem with my project, I need to make my air inflow from the left side small opening to inner side pipe, air coming out from the inner most pipe to the outer pipe, then going out to the upper side outlet.

Anyways, when I was trimming my geometry, I found a missing surface as it is shown in my attached picture, so I wanted to fix it with the methods ( 1. Face move (entity), 2. Wrap the surface, 3. Delete and cap healing) but the methods made my opening part filled.

I only need to fill the outer empty space, not the inner space as it is the inflow pathway, please help me !

Best, Kim.

Hello Kim! Hope you’re well. Could you please share a link to the project related to your question? I’m unable to find the geometry that you specified.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Kaany, I am doing good. I want to share the geometry with you, but I can’t find you in the user name. Can you share your username or email.
“kaany” isn’t inserted in the share window. (Sorry for basic question, I am not used to Simscale platform yet)
and my project named " UV LED1001" is marked with “share with support”. and that strange geometry condition can be found in “Edit in CAD mode”.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards, Kim

Hello Kim! Sorry for the late reply, I have access to the project now thank you.

The issue you mention in your first post is usually solved automatically when you use an internal flow volume extraction. However, this is going to be a little bit more tricky according to your description. And still there are some caps between a few faces that should be handled before proceeding to flow volume extraction, but they can be handled in the CAD mode. Here is the workflow I would suggest,

1. Handle caps between upper side outlet pipe and the main outer pipe by using Move operation. Select side faces of upper small pipe, choose “Up to entity” option, and select the small faces of the main outer pipe surrounding the little one.
  2. Handle interferences by clicking on the Fix Interferences tool. This will remove the interfering parts between the main pipe and small ring-like parts.
  3. Perform necessary face splits where solid bodies touching at each other by clicking on the Imprint operation.
  4. Create an internal flow volume for the inner pipe only by selecting the appropriate boundaries and a seed face.

1. Create an internal flow volume for the outer pipe by selecting the appropriate boundaries and a seed face. Do not exclude any parts! This will automatically perform a Subtract operation between the outer flow and inside regions (Inner flow region, solid parts of inner pipe, etc.).

1. If you’re only interested in the fluid flow, delete all solid parts other than two flow regions. You don’t need those parts for a fluid flow simulation. (If you’re interested in the solid-fluid thermal interaction as well, you should keep the solid bodies and perform a conjugate heat transfer simulation.)

You should have only two fluid regions after delete operation.

1. Use Boolen/Unite operation to form only one fluid domain. Two fluid domains connect eachother at the end of the inner pipe.

2. Now you can assign Wall/Inlet/Outlet boundary conditions to any face you like.

Hope this helps.

Hello Kaany, Thanks for the reply. I followed your instruction and I was successful to have the internal flow. However, when I try to have the step5 of your instruction, I encounter the problems (screencaptured). I think the reason of it is that I can’t fully understand your step 2, 3. Could you elaborate the parts "

?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards, Kim

Hello again. Yes, skipping the Step 2 and 3 might cause the following warning. Let me further explain them.

Step 2 - Use “Fix Interferences” operation in the CAD mode. This operation will automatically handle the interfering parts (rings and outer pipe).

Step 3 - Use “Imprint” operation. This will automatically split interfaces so that surface continuity is enhanced.

Please let us know if this solves the issue. Best.

1 Like

Many thanks! But now I have new problems regarding the simulation, so I posted it as a new post.

Thanks again!!