External flow simulation mesh stuck at 0%

Hi all,

I’m going through an external simulation analysis and trying to run my mesh. I’ve been stuck at 0% for a long while. I tried leaving it and wouldn’t budge even after 2 hours of meshing. I’ve looked at potential issues and tried flipping off the “potential flow initialization” and also making sure a Parasolid model is used. From the looks of it, it seems others have had a similar issue, but those aspects were the fix. The same is not for me.

Just curious if anyone can give my setup a look! Incompressible 6 is where I am right now, but the simulation before, incompressible 41 (such a natural at labeling my runs aren’t I?), ran just fine with the same settings.

My project is located here:

Thanks so much!

Hi @dcoats !

Generally speaking, if a mesh is “stuck” for a rather long time, it means one of the two options:

• It’s generating too many cells due to the fineness/refinement settings;
  • It’s generating too many cells because there’s an issue with the geometry (e.g. gaps/small faces). This happens mostly for the standard tool.

In your case, the region refinement is generating too many cells, which takes long to compute. If you open the “Meshing log” of the mesh operation, you see the latest status of the meshing operation.

For the latest mesh, it’s almost finished (layering just went through), and you have roughly 17.5M cells.

If 17.5M cells is too much for you, then here are some ideas:

• Optimizing the region refinement. E.g. using a local element size refinement for the walls and smaller boxes for the fine region refinement
  • Using a standard mesh and optimizing the refinement settings

Cheers

@RicardoParis you’re amazing.

Is there a rule of thumb for mesh cells that would be useful in knowing? Obviously this should change from run to run, but is there a basis to keep in mind?

Thanks again!

Well, your description is a good summary - it depends on the application.

For external aerodynamics, it’s definitely a good idea to keep the y+ under control. Surface refinement is interesting to ensure a smooth transition between the boundary layers and the rest of the mesh.

Furthermore, having region refinements for the wake is also a common practice. But of course, this can take some tests. E.g. here is a starting point: FSAE Tutorial - Preparing Simulations For Success - CAD Preparation

Cheers