Evaporative Cooling

Does SimScale can perform an analysis of the evaporative cooling effect?

I am working on a project that involves watering a stone, with holes in it. The water will eventually evaporate, making it a humidifier. I am looking to design a shape that promotes the evaporation of the water by generating air currents by the effect of the evaporative cooling.
The rock is porous, so the water will pass thru it, it will cold when in contact whit the air, cooling the surrounding air by conduction. the difference in temperatures will promote currents by convection.

Can SimScale handle it?

Hi @ditonygutierre!

OpenFOAM is able to simulate evaporation explicitly but as for now we do not have this feature implemented yet! Feel free to add a feature request here: Feature Requests.

Thanks a lot and let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Jousef

thank @jousefm , I just requested! hope it caches some votes; meanwhile, do you know a simulation software that can can do what iā€™m looking for?

Hi @ditonygutierre!

As mentioned you can use OF for that - are you convenient using that one? :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

I am sorry, I new in this field and did not understand that you already tell me the name of a software! It looks promising! (and confusing) thank you so much.

1 Like

Absolutely no problem @ditonygutierre, happy to help and we are here of course if you need anything :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef