Electrical heater around concrete crown

Hello,
I am Talla, project engineerfrom France.
My project consist of adding a heating belt around my propane vessel concrete crown in order to have a positive temperature on it.
–>The vessel contains liquid propane at -42°C, so, the vessel steel internal temperature is -42°C (B.C 1)
–>The vessel is insulated and we assume that the external temperature is around 0°C (B.C2)
–>The vessel is layed above a concrete apron ,where the surface temperature is around 2°C because it is heated (B.C 4)
–>The heating belt temperature is to be difined , now, I assume it to 45°C (B.C3)

If the heating belt is good, the temperature in the internal concrete crown sould be around 5°C.

That is a two-dimensional heat transfer problem.

I do not knwo if the simulation is good because I do not have an analytical approach to compare with it.
Khowing that the insulation disk thickness is 200 mm and its thermal conductance is 0.037 W/m°c, we should not have at the final result a very low temperature.

Do you know what kind of heat transfer shall I do to compute the heating belt’s power to add?
I enclosed some screenings.
I intended to have a positive temperature in the internal face of the concrete crown, but I have around -14°C.

How to proceed ?

screenings

Project link

Hi Talla

This project is really interesting, and I like your approach. Let me ask you a question though, aren’t you interested in the heat transfer between the solid and the fluid? This requires a different analysis type, the Conjugate Heat Transfer, have a look at the following pages:

Let me know what you think about it :slight_smile:

Also, regarding this statement:

If the heating belt is good, the temperature in the internal concrete crown should be around 5°C.

How did you get to this conclusion, taking into consideration the boundary conditions you set?

Best regards,
Fillia

1 Like

Hi Fillia,
Thank you for your quick answer.
You suggest me to use a conjugate heat transfer to solve my problem. It would be fantastic, That was the first idea Iget but, I can’t handle it because there are some problems related to the seed faces and regions I can’t define.
Would you like to help me doing it.

I read the links you send me several times but I never arrive to succeed my simulation.
Best regards!
Talla

1 Like

Check this project: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=2403172301928889348&mi=spec%3A53377203-f5ff-4de8-92d1-fe8e7c9481d9%2Cservice%3ASIMULATION%2Cstrategy%3A17
I created an Open Inner region that represents the liquid.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Multiple boundary conditions error

2 posts were split to a new topic: The specified maximum runtime of the job was exceeded error

Hi there,

I have made a good progress in my CFD simulation but, Istill have problems.

• BC1 : I want to maintain all the liquid propane (flow region) at -42°C, it seems to be impossible.
    In this way, I can just fix a face temperature at -42°C.
    Does someone know how to proceed, please ?

• *In the part Results, how to interpret the convergence plot Residuals, area average

Project link

Best regards !
Talla,