Do I need the Subsonic feature to run Multiphase simulations?

Hello. I’m watching your YouTube Multiphase video that was uploaded about 4 months ago. I see the application engineer is using the Subsonic simulation type to run multiphase simulations that involve air and water. I would be interested in running multiphase simulations that involve non-newtonian fluids having slightly different material rheologies. Is the Subsonic simulation option necessary for the type of multiphase simulation I would like to run? Thanks for your help. Keith

Hi @klindner,

Thanks for posting your question!
Subsonic simulation is not necessary once indeed non-newtonian fluids are not available for this type of analysis yet. However, you can do non-newtonian fluid simulations using multiphase, incompressible, and convective heat transfer analysis types. For more information on that, please take a look at this detailed documentation:

best,

Hello. Thanks for the info.

Hello. I forgot to ask. Was there a reason the application engineer used the multiphase feature within the subsonic simulation type instead of just using the Multiphase simulation? Thanks for your help. Keith

Hi @klindner,

It depends on the purpose of the video which you’re referring to. It can be a demo of the subsonic solver, or just used that because of it is an automated robust meshing strategy, delivering faster convergence at the cost of a reduced feature set, which can be more useful for a live demo, for example.
The main point is that with the multiphase analysis type, the results are the same. Thus it is a matter of optimization choice :slight_smile:

best,

Hello. Thanks for the additional info. It does look like the Subsonic simulation choice was more suited for the type of simulations he ran. Thanks for your help.