DEM simulation / solver not available any more?

Hello @ all,

I was trying to teach myself how particular material flows can be modeled in Simscale. There has been a DEM solver implemented, as I saw by looking at some public projects some time ago. I was trying to select the DEM solver within one of my simulation trials, but I could not find any selection option “Discrete Elements” or “Particulate Material” in the study type drop down menu. Could this be due to the fact that DEM simulations are not supported any more in Simscale?

Thanks for clearning my confusion :slight_smile:
Nice regards, Benjamin

Hi @bmueller!

Will ask if Yade will be “re-implemented” or if another solution is on the roadmap.

Best,

Jousef

Hi again @bmueller!

We still have the option to bring it back but it is not the priority we are focussing on at the moment. Please feel free to add your thoughts and ideas in the Vote for Features section of the forum or - if that is the purpose of the sim - simply upvote it.

Cheers,

Jousef

1 Like

Hi jousefm!

Thanks for your nice feedback :wink: In m opinion, the DEM module was the best feature in SimScale. I haven´t seen any other SaaS supplier / OpenFoam GUI builder that allowed for DEM calculations.

I personnaly would love to see it again implemented in SimScale!

Nice regards, Benjamin

2 Likes

Hi Benjamin!

Thanks for letting us know! We are always working on improvements on the platform. If we are planning to bring DEM Back we will announce it early enough.

Stay tuned!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @jousefm
Is particle tracing and DEM no longer available on Simscale as it appears on some Documentations, validation models and some public projects but nothing in the setup is available or is there an alternative way to go for it?

I tried to see the selection option “Discrete Elements” or “Particulate Material” in the study type drop down menu, as should be but not seen. Could it be possible that DEM simulations are not supported any more in Simscale? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Please am struggling to carry out particle tracing simulations on Simscale.

The ones I saw on the tutorial and validation link were missing some details, on how to set it up or has the function been removed?

Is the function for setting up Particle Tracing simulations on Simscale still available, as I need some assistance with understanding this model better. Thank you

See examples on the validation and public project links:

DPM Analysis of a gas-solid fluidised bed — SimScale Documentation

The purpose of this numerical simulation is to validate the following parameters of incompressible laminar Discrete Phase Model (DPM) for a ‘Gas-Solid Fluidised Bed’: Mixing distribution: by single bubble injection in a monodisperse fluidised bed.

For instance, the settings for this validation case is missing so it is difficult for me to understand the steps.

Gas-Solid Fluidized Bed - DPM Analysis - Validation

Hourglass simulation

DonVic