Correct Mesh Without Hex

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way that I could use the standard mesher and not the hex dominant one on this car model of mine. I have attempted to use the standard one but whenever I do that I just end up with errors I am not sure how to solve. However, when I use the Hex mesh it is overly chunky and even when I try and refine it I still cannot seem to get a clean model. So is there a way that I can use the standard mesh without errors?

Hi there,
Thank you for posting on the forum! I will go through your project and get back to you soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I am not in a rush or anything. I just wanted to know when you might be done. Sorry if I am being pushy I do not mean to be.

Hi there,
Thank you for your patience. I am currently working on your project and will get back to you soon within a couple of days.
In the meantime, we have a great tutorial on Hex-Dominant Parametric Meshing.

Have you given that a look already?
Perhaps that can be helpful :slight_smile:

Hi there,
So I had a look at your project, and there seem to be quite a few sharp edges present. This could be the reason that your mesh is either failing or resulting in a bad quality because the standard algorithm creates tetra elements which can be problematic here.
Even the space between the tyres and the ground seems to be too low.

Perhaps you can work on these.
Alternatively, you can use Hex dominant mesh . The advantage of working with hexahedral and split-hex elements using the Hex-dominant meshing method is that the elements can be subdivided to a very fine scale without losing too much mesh quality, thus improving potential simulation speed and accuracy. This is in contrast to working with tetrahedral elements, which can be more robustly automated to fit complex geometries, but may face more mesh quality issues for certain geometry features without additional manual refinement.

You can read more about it here.

Thanks so much for all your work!
I found a way to use the hex dominant mesh to get an accurate mesh!

1 Like